Charging A Deposit Fee?

Decorating By lilredcakes Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm by lilredcakes

lilredcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilredcakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 16

I didn't know where else to post this except in general questions.
I am doing a rather large wedding cake for October 3rd. The biggest I've done. I have not required a deposit before now, to save the date or help with cost. However she is wanting a cake stand that I will be buying myself for her to borrow for this cake. The cost of the cake is looking to be between 190 and 225. Wondered if there was a fair way to determine the fee I should charge for a deposit??? thanks in advance for any suggestions.

15 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 16

I require a deposit to save the date and a full rental fee for any equipment used. I always require the amount that it would cost me to replace any damaged or non-returned items.
What's to keep them from not giving it back?

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 16

My suggestion is... you should charge a "deposit" of at least $75-$100 NOW
The balance of the payment should be due not later than 2 weeks before the event. Make sure this is a firm commitment. thumbs_up.gif

As to the stand
When I use something that is to be returned to me, by the customer, I will ask for a deposit that is equal to the price of the item. Asking for a check can be iffy, so usually I will ask for cash, or if they insist on giving a check, I will cash it right away. The money goes in an envelope and when the item is returned, the cash is refunded to the customer. If the item is NOT RETURNED, I keep the money to replace the item.

One last thing, if you are purchasing the stand specifically for this event, make sure it can be returned, if you need to do that, in case of a cancellation. (Unless you want to keep it for future use)

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 16

Another option with the stand would be to talk to the people at the venue directly and make arrangements to pick up the stand, yourself, the day or two after the wedding.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 16

Uh, NO! You need to charge a non-refundable deposit of 50% total. Also, you need a money order or cash deposit of the total value of the cake stand your ordering including any shipping cost and a rental fee for the use of the stand. Nothing is free.

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 16

Oh yeah, they need to return that stand to you by a certain date or they lose that security deposit. You should not have to take time out of your schedule or waist you gas picking up anything.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 16

Not sure if you have a wedding cake contract yet, but if not you need to get one and have the bride sign it. I'll attach mine (got it from cake boss, and then tweaked it to my own needs) to give you some ideas.

I require either $50.00 or 10% of total cake order as a deposit to "book" the date

Then the balance is due 2 weeks before the event.
I charge a rental fee for plates/pillars/stands, that is usually about 10% of the cost of the item, plus a deposit that is 100% the cost of the item. It is due back 1 week after the wedding, after that I replace the item.
I charge a rental fee to account for normal wear and tear on the items, eventually you'll have to replace them, and this will cover that cost in the future.

Hope this helps

well, it won't let me attach it because it has a .doc extension on it......if you want to see it, just shoot me an email and I'll send it to you

[email protected]

edited to say: ok, I just posted it so you can see if you'd like

Go here http://www.freewebs.com/khalstead/weddingcakecontract.htm

lilredcakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks so much for the quick responses...I do charge a fee of $20 if they want me to cut the cake at the event,and they want this option. So I will be there to ensure the stand comes back with me.

I recently got Cake Boss, I didn't know it had a contract, lol, so thanks KHalstead for that.

Thanks again, I don't post a lot, but am so happy to be a part of this community. When I need the help, someone is always here icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 16

So I just have to ask. How does your fee work? Cause if someone wanted me to a cut a cake, I would, at the rate of $25 per hr, paid in advance for the 6 hrs. I'll be sitting there reading a book, doing NOTHING, until cake cutting time. And I would still have a rental fee for my cake stand. Wear & tear needs to be covered.

lilredcakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 16

I'll be setting up the cake during the wedding ceremony. So won't be waiting long, site is only 20 minutes away. I live in a very small town 856 people, so I kind of just tagged a flat rate for cutting onto my fee's.
I have already had the 1st consult with the bride about the cake. When she asked if I could get the stand, I said I could but would have to charge a fee, she understood and offered to pay a deposit.
I just didn't know how much the cake was going to be, the flowers, ingredients, labor etc., so I told her I would let her know this week what I needed as deposit.
I am to do a tasting also as she has a almond cream cheese recipe she wants on the cake, however I wasn't sure how well it would go between and on outer layers of red velvet and chocolate choc. chip. So I will have vanilla BC also to try with it.
I will ask her though how long into reception the cake will be cut, so I know the amount of time.
Thanks again

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 16

Well at the very least, your gonna have to wait for everyone to come in, get situated, possible wait for the first dance/bridal party annoucements, they have to eat dinner, and if your lucky, they cut the cake. Most times though, they eat dinner, first dance, father/daughter dance, mother/son dance, throw bouquet/ throw garter, a lot of mingling, and then they cut the cake, cut and plate, which takes time. Either way, you'll be there more then an hour. $20 is just not enough. I hope it works out for you. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 16

i charge $50.00/hr. and my cakes are cheap! lol $20.00 as a flat rate isn't enough to cut an 8" round if you gotta wait around 3 hrs. first

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

So I just have to ask. How does your fee work? Cause if someone wanted me to a cut a cake, I would, at the rate of $25 per hr, paid in advance for the 6 hrs. I'll be sitting there reading a book, doing NOTHING, until cake cutting time.

AB-SO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not paying you piece-work for when you cut the cake. They are paying for your TIME that ties you up and prevents you from going to a movie with your other-half and/or your kids. TIME! THe most expensive part of our expenses.

Here's how I would address the invoice for the cake, deposit, etc.:

Cake ..................................................$400
Stand Rental.......................................$100
Refundable Stand Deposit ................ $225

Total due ............................................$725
50% deposit to secure date ............... $362.50
Balance due 3 weeks prior to event ....$362.50

This $50 deposit to secure the date is crap, ladies! (and gents). The non-refundable deposit also covers and compensates you if they cancel on you and you've turned down other business. Is fifty lousy bucks going to compensate you for lost business? It doesn't even begin to show up on my radar!

LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

So I just have to ask. How does your fee work? Cause if someone wanted me to a cut a cake, I would, at the rate of $25 per hr, paid in advance for the 6 hrs. I'll be sitting there reading a book, doing NOTHING, until cake cutting time.

AB-SO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not paying you piece-work for when you cut the cake. They are paying for your TIME that ties you up and prevents you from going to a movie with your other-half and/or your kids. TIME! THe most expensive part of our expenses.

Here's how I would address the invoice for the cake, deposit, etc.:

Cake ..................................................$400
Stand Rental.......................................$100
Refundable Stand Deposit ................ $225

Total due ............................................$725
50% deposit to secure date ............... $362.50
Balance due 3 weeks prior to event ....$362.50

This $50 deposit to secure the date is crap, ladies! (and gents). The non-refundable deposit also covers and compensates you if they cancel on you and you've turned down other business. Is fifty lousy bucks going to compensate you for lost business? It doesn't even begin to show up on my radar!

thumbs_up.gif Thank ya.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 16

$50?? Oh heeeeeeeellll no. Half of the cost of the wedding cake.

lilredcakes Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #16 of 16

thanks so much for all the responses

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%