Can I Wrap My Cakes And Leave On Counter???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm by Deb_

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 12

Hi All!!

I think I am done with freezing cakes. I have had one to many blow outs on my cakes, I belive it is due to the condensation left on my cakes. You can read my past posts on how I freeze my cakes for further detail. Quick review, wrap 3 times in saran....very tightley.....wrap 3 times in foil......alow cake to cool before hand for 2 hours........I take cake out and leave in wrappings for 12 hours.......Every single time when I unwrap the cakes are really really wet to touch.......

It is amazing the amount of conflicting answers I received and researched on this topic. Some say wrap, others say don't....Some say wrap cool, others say wrap warm.....Some say thaw wrapped others say unwrap to thaw....some say thaw on counter others say thaw in the fridge........???? Urrrrrrr.....

Anyway, sorry for the rant.... was thinking that I would bake my cakes allow to cool and wrap in saran wrap and leave on the counter. I would only leave them out for maybe 1 or 2 days. If the event is Sunday, I would bake Friday fill and let settle Friday.....Ice and Decorate Saturday and deliver Sunday......

Would this be ok if left wrapped on the counter????

Thank you .....

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 12

Unfortunately I think the layers will still be a little wet to the touch even if you don't freeze them, mine always are when I unwrap them.

To avoid problems, I just unwrap the layers about 20 to 30 minutes before I begin assembly and crumb coating. This allows the surface to dry a bit.

I only freeze if I have a ton of orders on a particular day, and I do the above when I freeze also and the layer's surface will dry to the touch and be ready to ice.

Your schedule of baking Fri for Sunday is fine.

Oh, I just wanted to add that when I "rush" the process and don't let the layers "dry" a bit, then I too have issues with the icing not adhering to the cake's surface.

HTH

Williamus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Williamus Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 12

Wrap them well and they will be fine for 3 days...I do it all the time.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 12

........wrap 3 times in saran....very tightley.....wrap 3 times in foil......alow cake to cool before hand for 2 hours........I take cake out and leave in wrappings for 12 hours......

Personally I think this is overkill icon_sad.gif
I often have fzn cakes just in a plastic bag (I save the bag hot dog buns come in). I have thawed in the frig overnight, on the counter and once or twice on the heater! (got a rush order-hehe).

Your plan is o.k. Just remember, the longer you have the cake (on the counter) the less time the customer has to use up any leftover from their event. Most cake is just fine 3-5 days after baking when not fzn.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 12

Why couldn't you just put it in the fridge with a single wrap? I have never had any problems doing it this way. HTH

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 12

I never freeze a cake. I always bake, cool, wrap and leave on the counter. I also have zero problems with condensation, blow outs, etc. I don't have to worry about keeping the cake "cold" for the delivery either. (I don't use fillings etc. that require refrigeration for that reason) All my stuff is done room temperature. I do let the cake set for a while unwrapped too so it isn't "sticky" when I ice it.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 12

I freeze all the time and never have had a blowout, but agree with kakeladi that how much you wrap seems to be overkill. --Not that it necessarily is contributing to your blowouts. I wrap in plastic in one direction, then the other. Throw them in the freezer. The day before I am going to frost, I defrost them wrapped in the the fridge. About 1/2 hour before frosting they are unwrapped and allowed to rest. After I frost, I allow them to settle before finishing. This seems to work for me.

Sorry that you have had so much trouble with blowouts. Your baking schedule sounds fine for leaving the cakes out. I would add; however, that it might not hurt to brush them with a simple syrup upon assembly for a little added measure of moistness.

Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you for the help.

teachingmyself......

I have read countless post going back to 2005, that the fridge will speed up the drying out process for a cake. This is why I don't place them in the fridge...

Thank you again everyone...

stephanievo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanievo5 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 12

First.........do you really want to be known for a dry cake?

Two....I allow my cakes to cool completely. The I wrap all of my cakes in freezer paper. I have a small freezer for my cakes "only". I found the freezer paper helps with grabbing any wetness.

I bake two days a week and decorate the rest. I hate to have to bake every other day.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 12

i have never heard of leaving them for that long. mine usually thaw out in a few hours. i would think that maybe that's the problem. icon_wink.gif

Mikel79 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 12

Diane.....

I think you are right! 12 hours might be way tooooo long. I had a small 6" cake that was frozen in my freezer. I took it out and unwrapped the foil only. I let it thaw for about 30 minutes. Then, I took the saran off and let it set bare for 1 hour. I was amazed at what a difference. Instead of my cake being WET,I mean really WET; to the point that my fingers would have cake that on it where the cake stuck to my hand becuase it was so wet. It was the same texture as when I originally took it out of the oven. I thought for some reason cakes took a looong time to thaw......

Thank you all....

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 12

I really think the important common factor amongst those of us that haven't had a problem is to let the uncovered cake "airdry" for a bit before icing.

I'm glad you had better luck with the 6" layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%