Cracking Fondant

Decorating By catcando33 Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm by catcando33

catcando33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catcando33 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:02am
post #1 of 4

Im working with fondant to make characters for one it doesnt keep its shape being so soft but it cracks like crazy. Someone told me to use gumpaste is that better? Or should I mix the two of them togther? If so how much of each and can i get the gumpaste in colors?

I have to make two cakes and if i can use something that looks better thank cracked fondant i would rather.
thanks

Cat A.

3 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 4

You can use gumpaste, but it dries really fast so you have to be able to work quick. If you can't work that fast, you can definitely do 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. That should help with the sagging and cracking.
I'm not sure if they sell gumpaste pre-colored. But you can color it just like fondant.

And if you don't have gumpaste on hand, or enough time to order it, you can mix in some tylose powder or gum tex (they sell gum tex at Michael's).

Hope this helps! Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

buggus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buggus Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 4

I took a cake seminar last night, and the instructor advised to knead your fondant so well that it's elastic, and then it'll be just right for rolling and putting over your cakes. There won't be any tearing then, as it'll be more pliable.

catcando33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catcando33 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the info with the gumpaste, i tried the 50/50 mix and used colored fondant. worked great for smalled projects and like you said if i worked fast. I tried making a tree but that didnt go over so well, i think because it was so dense. If i were to cover something like rice krispy treats that may benefit in the drying...alot to play with ...again thanks for the tips.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%