*? About Shipping Baked Goods To Iraq*

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm by AFCakeBaker

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:28am
post #1 of 32

1)Do you have any *not so moist* recipes for cakes, brownies, etc(recipes that can survive the heat without molding or going bad)
2)Any packaging/shipping tips?

31 replies
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 32

When my DD's boyfriend and 2 of my nephews were in Iraq, I mailed them all cookies and brownies once a month.

I didn't alter my recipes at all but I did use my Food Saver Vacuum Sealer to seal the baked goods. I then layered them in the boxes with either bubble wrap or styro peanuts.

All of them told me that everything always arrived fresh and unbroken.

One thing I noticed was that when the war started it took much longer for them to receive their packages then it does now. Thankfully all 3 of them are now home, but they still have friends over there that we mail stuff out to and they receive the stuff within 1 wk.

If this is something that you'll be doing regularly, I highly recommend buying the Food Saver system. It keeps everything really fresh for a lot longer then you'd expect.

itsmylife Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 32

My friend's son was in Iraq for the last nine months (just got back home 2 weeks ago....yay!!!). Anyhow, I baked cookies (choco chip, snickerdoodles, etc), and did the same as dkelly. I took 4 or 5 cookies, vacuum sealed them until most of the air was out (down to the point where the cookies wouldn't be crushed). Then I took all those packs of cookies and put them in a small plastic tote/box (like the rubbermaid or sterlite kinds)....then packed that box in a shipping box with bubble wrap.

He said the cookies made it perfectly..... not crushed or broken, and they tasted great. I made the small packs so if he didn't eat them all right away, the rest would stay fresh. (turns out he & the squad ate everthing within an hour haha) I think it took about 2 weeks for my package to get over there.

If you are sending to a military address, make sure you check out the flat rate boxes for apo/fpo addresses at the post office. It could save you some money on shipping depending upon what else you are sending. usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 32

Make sure you add extra for the rest of the unit - believe me, when a box comes from home, everyone has their nose in it to see if there are any homemade goodies - I know when my mother sent me stuff when I was stationed in Bahrain, it was gone just about as soon as the box was opened!
PS - don't send candy corn, it melts into one big lump!!!!

madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 32

I was told by the USPS that is not allowed. Maybe something has changed?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 32

I don't know the current shipping requirements - I was there just after Desert Storm.

djs328 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 32

I've had no problem sending baked goods - you have to complete a customs form at the post office declaring the contents, but there is no problem sending goodies to the guys and gals over there! icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 32

When my brother was in Iraq, I sent over a Care Package with an assortment of cookies, Rice Crispy Treats (his favorite), and personal care items. I used the USPS and tightly packed the goods in a box in tins, bubble wrap, and brown paper. This was back in 2003 and I didn't think to use the food saver system but my brother didn't have any complaints and said that everything arrived in one piece.

I agree with TNTfundraiser...try send enough for the whole unit because my brother said the exact same thing. He said the goods disappeared as soon as he opened them.

hensor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 32

This past winter when my brother was in Iraq, I would bake cookies and brownies for him and his unit all the time. I bought those new Ziplock bags with the little pump to remove all the air. He said they never had a problem with any of the goodies not arriving fresh (or being eaten). I shipped everything through the US Post Office. They have special boxes for shipping items to the troops.

madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 32

They told me at the post office, they will chuck them in Iraq...maybe they are full of balognie, I don't know lol

Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

They told me at the post office, they will chuck them in Iraq...maybe they are full of balognie, I don't know lol

Chuck what? I've been shipping items for over 5 yrs over there and have pictures of the guys enjoying the cookies/brownies, so they definitely don't chuck the baked goods.

There are some things you can't ship like pork products but baked goods are fine and very much appreciated by these poor men and women over there.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

When my DD's boyfriend and 2 of my nephews were in Iraq, I mailed them all cookies and brownies once a month.

I didn't alter my recipes at all but I did use my Food Saver Vacuum Sealer to seal the baked goods. I then layered them in the boxes with either bubble wrap or styro peanuts.

All of them told me that everything always arrived fresh and unbroken.

One thing I noticed was that when the war started it took much longer for them to receive their packages then it does now. Thankfully all 3 of them are now home, but they still have friends over there that we mail stuff out to and they receive the stuff within 1 wk.

If this is something that you'll be doing regularly, I highly recommend buying the Food Saver system. It keeps everything really fresh for a lot longer then you'd expect.

Anyone know how to multi-quote?

dkelly, Exactly which system do you use? I have one by Reynold's that you buy special ziploc bags for.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

Make sure you add extra for the rest of the unit - believe me, when a box comes from home, everyone has their nose in it to see if there are any homemade goodies - I know when my mother sent me stuff when I was stationed in Bahrain, it was gone just about as soon as the box was opened!
PS - don't send candy corn, it melts into one big lump!!!!

lol...oh no, that's his favorite!

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensor

This past winter when my brother was in Iraq, I would bake cookies and brownies for him and his unit all the time. I bought those new Ziplock bags with the little pump to remove all the air. He said they never had a problem with any of the goodies not arriving fresh (or being eaten). I shipped everything through the US Post Office. They have special boxes for shipping items to the troops.

This is the same one I have

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 32

I noticed alot of you have shipped cookies, Has anyone tried to ship a cake...not a whole cake icon_biggrin.gif , a mini-cake or a slice of cake?
My hubby deploys very soon and his birthday is about 3 weeks after he deploys. I would love to send him a homemade slice of cake!

Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 32

I have the electric countertop one, but those little bags with the pump will probably achieve the same result.

Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

I noticed alot of you have shipped cookies, Has anyone tried to ship a cake...not a whole cake icon_biggrin.gif , a mini-cake or a slice of cake?
My hubby deploys very soon and his birthday is about 3 weeks after he deploys. I would love to send him a homemade slice of cake!

I never did but I don't see why you couldn't do that. Don't they make those plastic containers that you can pump the air out? You could probably make him a 5 or 6" cake and fit it into one of those containers. That would be so cool, really.

If you do it let me know how it goes, I'd love to start sending some of these guys Birthday cakes.

Lita829 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

I never did but I don't see why you couldn't do that. Don't they make those plastic containers that you can pump the air out? You could probably make him a 5 or 6" cake and fit it into one of those containers. That would be so cool, really.

If you do it let me know how it goes, I'd love to start sending some of these guys Birthday cakes.

That souns like an awesome idea to send the birthday cakes!! It don't see why it would be too hard to send a cake over there. If a decorated cake is not possible, Cupcakesandbuttercream, you could send your hubby a bundt cake with a yummy glaze and package it in a tin of some sort. That is what many of the bakers do who bake fancy bundt cakes and mail them all over the country. There was a company on Oprah several years ago who were on one of her "Favorite Things" Show who did that....I can't think of the name at this time icon_redface.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #19 of 32

I agree, that is a really good idea.

I was thinking send an un-iced cake(In a baggie with air sucked out) and send the frosting separately...and don't forget the candles!...But I would probably have to send canned frosting, I don't think my frosting would survive...

mbt4955 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:15pm
post #20 of 32

Have you seen the mason jar cakes/sweet breads? You actually bake in a mason jar, then put the lid on while it is hot and it seals. They are supposed to stay fresh for weeks. A friend of mine sent some to Afghanistan and they got there fine - you would just have to wrap them really well because of the glass. It is recommended that you send a can of frosting along with the plain cake.

There are quite a few links online about doing these cakes. I would be happy to find you some information if you want me to.

cakemaker30 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:

I bake cookies for Operation Baking Gals and they instruct us to put that we are with that group when we ship cookies to Iraq and Afghanistan. They said if they receive food from someone they don't know then they will pitch it. If you are sending it to someone you know then it wouldn't be a problem at all, but if you were just being nice and sending it to a soldier you didn't really know then they would throw it away. I hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:20pm
post #22 of 32

I know more than a few people who ship baked goods to soldiers and they haven't had any problem with items not getting there. I know you aren't supposed to send anything that isn't addressed to a specific person. Maybe that is what the problem is. I have read not to send mail to "Any Soldier" or that sort of thing because they will not be delivered.

Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #23 of 32

Oh definitely agree it has to have a name on it. Funny thing about these guys is that every time my "name" comes home they give me a new "name" to send the cookies to.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker30

Quote:

I bake cookies for Operation Baking Gals and they instruct us to put that we are with that group when we ship cookies to Iraq and Afghanistan. They said if they receive food from someone they don't know then they will pitch it. If you are sending it to someone you know then it wouldn't be a problem at all, but if you were just being nice and sending it to a soldier you didn't really know then they would throw it away. I hope that helpsicon_smile.gif

to the bolded: that makes sense, for safety reasons.

LynnZClaire Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:59pm
post #25 of 32

Never shipped him a cake, but my DH suffered through 2 15month deployments in Iraq and I (plus allllllllllllllll of our family and friends) shipped him cookies and brownies and rice krispy treats and the such like CRAZY! All were vacuumed sealed and all arrived just fine icon_smile.gif

DEF. make A LOT...enough for the whole unit!!! Even if no one sees the soldier open the box, they will smell it....lol....NOT KIDDING!!! Hubby said he had a big box of cookies he hid under his cot and went out on a mission, when he got back half of the box was gone and no one had seen him open the box or hide it, they said they could smell them...lo

Lita829 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:00pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

That definately makes sense. I wouldn't eat baked goods not knowing where or who they are from, either. Thanks, Cakemaker30, for the info on Operation Baking Gals thumbs_up.gif I've never heard of them before. I'll have to check them out.

cakemaker30 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

That definately makes sense. I wouldn't eat baked goods not knowing where or who they are from, either. Thanks, Cakemaker30, for the info on Operation Baking Gals thumbs_up.gif I've never heard of them before. I'll have to check them out.

Their website is www.bakinggals.com. I found about them from here so I know there are other people on the site that bake with them.

Lita829 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:41pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Their website is www.bakinggals.com. I found about them from here so I know there are other people on the site that bake with them.

I went to the website and checked them out. It looks like a great organization that's doing a lot of good.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #29 of 32

My son who was a Marine found out about many guys in Iraq who never received cards or packages, and we found a list if names if those we could send packages of goodies...things from tp to life savers , and I went to the post office to see if i could send some of my home made cookies, and I was told NO, only package cookies.....so thats what I did...I got those individual packs of oreos and choc chip............they can be very trying at out post office, so it really ticks me off to find out now, that you were able to do that. grrr well any way I made about ten boxes up and sent them and never heard a word, I hope someone was able to enjoy all those goodies. I had inside info from a Marine as to what would be something needed....I can't remember anymore, but....well thats the story...glad you all did a great and patriotic thing...I am proud of all of you.

AFCakeBaker Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #30 of 32

I am actually making a care package next week for a friend from college, and I bought two boxes so there is plenty to share ! I know when my husband was in Iraq in 2005, they all wanted a piece of the goodies....also, I am enclosing a recipe that my m-i-l uses for seasoned pretzels....I send these with sweets to balance...

Bake @ 300 for 15 min

2 boxes (1 lb) Snyders Hard Pretzels or any hard Sourdough Pretzels
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbs Lemon Pepper
1 Cup Crisco Oil (or a vegetable/canola oil)
1 tsp Dill Weed

Break up Pretzels. Mix above ingredients in small bowl and pour over pretzels. Toss to coat. Spread on one or two cookie sheets so that they are in a single layer and bake. Turn/stir during baking about every 5 minutes. After baking, cool on paper towels before storing.

These are my husband's favorite when he's deployed since he isn't a big sweets eater....Hope this helps ! I know this has all helped me plan my baked good attack...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%