What Kind Of Food Color Does Everyone Use?

Decorating By stephanievo5 Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:15am by Rylan

stephanievo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanievo5 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:00am
post #1 of 12

I've been using the Wiltons food colorings but I'm not all that impressed with the colors. They are not all that bright and stand out-ish. What dyes does everyone else use?

Thanks a bunch!
Steph icon_rolleyes.gif

11 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:14am
post #2 of 12

Most people here seem to use AmeriColor. Seems to be much better for staying power. If you only need a few tubes of it, cakeart.us has really low shipping prices when you are only buying 1-2 tiny items.

Happy shopping icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #3 of 12

Americolor for me! It does come in tiny sizes so you can try it out without spending too much money, but you'll love it... so buy the big sizes and never look back! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:21am
post #4 of 12

I have used both Wilton and Americolor. I like americolor better, plus you get to squeeze out drops rather than use a toothpick (or whatever you use) to get the colour out.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:31am
post #5 of 12

where can you buy the americolor at? The Wilton brand seems to not keep the icing fully colored, I tend to get white spots after awhile of using the icing in the bag.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:41am
post #6 of 12

They sell Americolor at most cake shops and of course just about anywhere online including the place I mentioned above thumbs_up.gif But no, not at Michael's or shops like that.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:03am
post #7 of 12

Having asked the very same question just last week and found Americolor to be the favorite, I wanted a complete set of all the colors (gadget and supply junkie!!). Guess where I found the best deal?

www.americolor.org

I got the complete set of 41 soft gel paste colors for about $45. They are small bottles, .75 oz, but how nice to have all the colors! As I use up a bottle, I will replace it with a larger size.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 12

I too, love Americolor. You can get their stuff at www.intotheoven.com and lots of other places as well.

stephanievo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanievo5 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone. I just hate the way that Wiltons colors my fondant. It not a nice crisp color. its.......well.........Blah.
Good deal I will get myself som Americolor!
Thank you !

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 12

I also switched from Wilton colors to Americolor. The taste is a lot better too. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 12

I've used wilton, americolor and chefmaster liqua gel and chefmaster is my favorite. I can get red or black immediately and,I don't have to start with a differfent color and I only use a little bit. Also no bad taste.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #12 of 12

I use Amercolor and I think it is ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%