Trademarks ?

Decorating By TwoSweetSisters Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm by costumeczar

TwoSweetSisters Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever trademarked their company name? Who did it for you and about how much does it cost?

3 replies
DsLady614 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:43am
post #2 of 4

You can find out all you need to know about trademarks on the US Patent and Trademark Office website

The process is actually fairly simple and the cost depends upon how many different "services" you want your trademark to apply to; generally in a business like this I'd think it would be only one. You can do it yourself or you can hire an attorney to do it for you but that will definitely cost more.

cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:53am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the link Vstar!

costumeczar Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 4

Keep in mind that if you want to trademark something relatively common (and there are a lot in cake business names) then the people who have used it before you did can challenge it if you ever send them a "stop using my trademark" notice. You might want to talk to an attorney to find out the specifics of that before you trademark anything.

I did a trademark search for my business name, and a couple different businesses arcoss the US and abroad are also using it, so I didn't bother trademarking it. One had been in business longer than I had, and they were in a different state, so I figured why bother? (If someone does have a reason why I should bother, feel free to let me know.) If they were in my state and had taken the name I could make them stop using it without a trademark anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%