How Do I Keep Frosting From Sticking To My Tiers

Decorating By kaseyrconnect Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 8:15am by prterrell

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the tiers of a stacked cake from sticking to the frosting on the tier beneath them. I used coconut this weekend on my grandsons cake, and some of my family members were not too crazy about that.

10 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:44am
post #2 of 11

Powdered sugar will work.

creations08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations08 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:49am
post #3 of 11

I read somewhere here on cc that you can toss some powdered sugar on your first tier, before stacking your second one, to prevent them from sticking. I haven't tried it yet, but I will as soon as I get a chance. HTHS.

kaseyrconnect Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:52am
post #4 of 11

Thanks girls for the help. I am going to try that tonite on the cake i am doing now. I doubt if anyone will have any complaints about powdered sugar.
Thanks again.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:31am
post #5 of 11

You can also use shaved white chocolate, I never get complaints about that one either! icon_wink.gif

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 11

I will be trying to powdered sugar as well this weekend for my daughter's birthday cake. I HATE coconut so that wasn't even as option icon_smile.gif

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 11

Please let us all know how the PS works - I'd love to know!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 11

Well, ditto on the anti-coconut crowd. As I've mentioned before, if there is one flake of coconut on my cake, I'll demand a full refund because the cake will be inedible.

If you're using a crusting BC, allow the BC to crust before assembling the cake. This is how I do mine and the icing never sticks to the upper tier. (I cut most of my wedding cakes, so I see it firsthand.)

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 11

I would think that the PS would just get absorbed by the BC.

I'm with Indydeb, just let it get a good crust on it and it won't stick. I usulally cut my cakes too and I have never had a tier stick.

kaseyrconnect Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:12am
post #10 of 11

oooh loucinda the shaved white chocolate sounds great. i think i will try that. the powdered sugar didn't work for me, but i know that i didn't let my icing crust over real well-so i can't really say that it wouldn't work.
Thats for all the help.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:15am
post #11 of 11

I make cake crumbs with the bits of cake that get trimmed off and use those under the boards to keep the icing from sticking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%