Overworked Fondant!

Decorating By Keane Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 4:53am by auntginn

Keane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 4

Help! I'm making my 1st wedding cake. I kneaded purple food color on the fondant and might have overworked it, its so hard to roll out--feels like rubber that just refuses to stretch. Any ideas on what I should do in order to be able to successfully roll it into the cake? I've tried a couple of times and it just cracks, feels dry too. Do I need new fondant? icon_sad.gif It's a 12in round cake 5inches high. Please give me tips on covering big cakes. Thanks!

3 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 4

First try warming it up a bit in the microwave. Be careful though not to leave it too long, it is sugar and will burn. Try 10-15 seconds at a time until warm. Then knead in some shortening by greasing your hands generously. This should help.

HTH

Keane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much! Does microwaving the fondant over and over damage it? I tried zapping it for 20-30 secs and it is much easier to work with. Any tricks in covering bigger cakes?

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:53am
post #4 of 4

It will dry out somewhat after if cools back to room temp. That is why you add in the shortening. Have you ever tried working with the Marshmellow Fondant. I like to use a 50/50 blend of Wilton and MMF. Taste sooo much better and because mmf is softer it gives the fondant elasticity which helps it to #1. roll out smoother and #2 not dry up. Works great for larger cakes too.

Years ago I bought some heavy plastic from a hardware store. The kind sold by the yard like those plastic tableclothes sold by the yard but this was clear.

I cut out several sizes I needed to act as a mat and rolled the fondant to that size. Example; 10 inch cake - 5 inch high would need 10 inches plus 5 inches = 15 inches in diameter. Usually roll out an inch or two larger.

Sorry to make this so long

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%