Ladybug Cake Help??

Decorating By mommybrooke Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm by xstitcher

mommybrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybrooke Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 10

I need to make a ladybug cake for a friends daughters smash cake. She wants it like an actual ladybug. I will try to put the link of the plates they are using, the ladybug is so cute I would love to make it look like that!!

http://www.birthdayexpress.com/LadyBugs-Oh-So-Sweet-Deluxe-Party-Pack/58160/PartyKitDetail.aspx?REF=AFC-cedatafeed&AID=10645155&PID=3412392&SID=KPP-GG-PartyThemes-Ladybugs-ladybug+birthday+party

Thanks so much for any help/ideas!!! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #2 of 10

I'd use half of a sports ball pan, six inch size, for the body. Then black gumpaste for the head and the legs. Below is a website for a close up photo of a ladybug.

http://naturescrusaders.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/ladybug.jpg

HotMessBakedGoods_LLC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotMessBakedGoods_LLC Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 10

Hi. I just made a ladybug cake for a 1st birthday last week. The link to the picture is below.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=457033196&albumID=969891&imageID=13329709

I just stacked my round cakes and hand carved the dome ladybug shape. I didnt have a basketball pan or anything. I actually dont have any shaped pans. If you are good at carving I would just do that if you dont have a pan.

Hope it helps.

Candace
myspace.com/hotmessbakedgoods

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:54am
post #4 of 10

You can use a pyrex bowl or another oven safe bowl that has the shape your looking for if you do not have the ball pans. Or you can just carve as pp said.

Candace, that's an adorable cake and looks just like the invites.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 10

I made that exact lady bug 2 weeks ago. I used a ball pan ( or a stainless steel bowl) I covered in the bright pink buttercream icing. I made some lime green and black fondant and used it to make all of the stripes and dots for the ladybug. Looked just like the plates.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 10

I made that theme! It was soo cute! I'd be glad to help. The cake is in my pics

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 10

I have made two ladybugs using 1/2 the sports ball pan. They turn out really cute. I made fondant faces and accents, but covered the ladybug itself in buttercream.

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMessBakedGoods_LLC

Hi. I just made a ladybug cake for a 1st birthday last week. The link to the picture is below.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=457033196&albumID=969891&imageID=13329709

I just stacked my round cakes and hand carved the dome ladybug shape. I didnt have a basketball pan or anything. I actually dont have any shaped pans. If you are good at carving I would just do that if you dont have a pan.

Hope it helps.

Candace
myspace.com/hotmessbakedgoods

How did you make the antennaes? i have a cake just like this soon.
Thanks

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 10

When I made that cute little ladybug face in gumpaste it took two days to dry and be strong enough to stand up. I know some don't like to use wire but this part was not going into the cake at all and was completely covered by gumpaste. I used 20 gauge wire and wraped black gumpaste on it. I glued the antennae to the back of the face with tylose and glued on a "bandaid" of gumpast over it with tylose to really hold it fixed on there. I glued a flat black heart to the tips of the antennae. I used heart cutters to help get the widows peak just right by using the outside edges to cut the curves out of each side.
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 10

Great looking cake sadsmile. Thanks for going into detail on how you did the adorable face (I love it). thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%