Soft Bc - Paper Towel Method

Decorating By elitecodex Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:28am by xstitcher

elitecodex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elitecodex Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone... I am trying to make a cake for my relatives. They do not like the taste of fondant but want that look. So I am trying to figure out the paper towel method.

The problem is that my BC recipe that they like is very soft. Even refrigerated for an hour, a little still comes off on my finger. If I freeze it for a few min then it appears to be stiff enough but ends up warming shortly there after.

How can I get that very smooth look with a soft BC? Would parchment paper help any? Does anyone else have this issue or is there another option?

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, the search did not turn up anything helpful. Thanks in advance for your help!

2 replies
blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 3

I just started using the hot knife method. It probably has a different name, but that's what I call it. icon_smile.gif

Cover the cake in your favorite BC. Get it pretty smooth, but doesn't need to be quite perfect. Sit right next to the stove with a boiling pan of water going and dip your offset spatula into the hot water to get it good and hot. Then slowly work around your cake smoothing out the BC, dipping as needed to reheat the spatula. You don't need much pressure and work at a medium to slow speed. It takes out the little pock marks that I hate so much and makes everything almost as smooth as fondant.

It takes some practice but is SO worth it.

Good luck! Hope that helps!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:28am
post #3 of 3

Your bc recipe needs to be a crusting recipe for the paper towel method to work. I'm assuming yours is not. The ratio of fat to sugar is what determines whether the recipe will crust or not. The more powdered sugar you have the more crusting you will get, the more fat you add the less it will crust. So you may want to try either using less fat or more ps in your icing. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%