How Much Time Did It Take In The Beginning??

Business By buggus Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm by CakeInfatuation

buggus Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 10

My question is, when you were first starting out, how long did it take you to complete orders?? I find I take forever sometimes getting cakes done, my guess being because I'm still a beginner. How long did it take you do to stuff and when did you get faster??

9 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 10

depending on what it is, I averaged 1-2 days when I started. Now I average 3 days, go figure.

littlecake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:28am
post #3 of 10

it took me years to build up speed...i was known to be "slow" at the first bakery i worked at...of course they could do a cake in like 10 minutes.

auntginn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 10

In the beginning I could spend all day on a half sheet. Now I would love to do only 1 order per week. Cause that's how long it takes. I start on Mon to deliver on Sat.

littlecake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:46am
post #5 of 10

on the food network, they often say that the designer will spend 30-40 hours on one cake.

cupcake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:42am
post #6 of 10

As with anything, practice makes perfect. Don't worry so much about speed starting out, that will come in time. Perfect your skills, make each cake the best work you can do. As you learn the little tricks to time saving, they will become second nature. You will pick up tons of efficient ways to do things on this site. Concentrate on a quality tasting cake and neat quality work.

CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 5:38am
post #7 of 10

i timed my last cake... it took me 8.5 hours start to clean up.... not sure if this is alot of time or alittle! the cake was pretty simple too... here it is... Oh it cost me 41.38 to make btw! lol

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1444401

auntginn Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 10

Nice looking cake!

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 10

I remember my first cake as well as I remember the one I did last week! icon_biggrin.gif It was covered in BC roses (and I'd never made a BC rose before doing this cake! icon_surprised.gif ). THe baking probably took me 6-7 hours (SMALL home oven!); icing and getting the dowels level ..... another 3-4 hours. Making all of those roses and decorating it? At LEAST 12 hours! icon_surprised.gif Total? 23 hours.

Today I can do that whole cake, including baking time, in about 4-6 hours.

And it only took me 30 years to get there! icon_redface.gif

CakeInfatuation Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 10

When I do a cake at home, I can spend a whole week prepping. I have 4 cakes I'm prepping right now. One is for September 20th... but gum paste is a beautiful thing... I must have spent 2 hours on seashells and stuff the other night for that cake.

3 of the cakes are for this week. 1 is for the bakery. 2 are for home. I think it really depends on the elements you are putting on the cake.

That said... I decorated 3 cakes at the bakery 2 weeks ago. One was a sheet cake with a fondant fish, one was a small 2 tier fondant covered cake, and one was a 4 tier seashell wedding cake. I worked 12 hours that day and got all 3 done. BUT I didn't have to make icing, bake cakes, or anything. I just told them what I needed and they either got it for me or told me where to find it in the shop. I had spent 2 hours prepping seashells a couple weeks earlier though.

I find over time I'm getting faster in some areas and slower in others. My boss told me not to worry about how long it takes. It's the product that goes out the door they are most interested in. He said my speed will come in time. At the same time, I feel pressured to move. Especially when I work 1 day a week and end up with 4 cakes. I have a hard time giving it my normal attention to detail and not feeling the pressure.

I have had some pressure on me this week. And I have no idea how fast I'll be able to move! I guess being under the gun is one way to develop speed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%