Another Mmf Question

Decorating By luv2c_cultures Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:56am by madgeowens

luv2c_cultures Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 11

When I am making MMF, when do I know to stop adding powdered sugar? Do I stop once it becomes a dough? Or once it stops being sticky? I am always afraid of adding too much, so I think I might be stopping a bit early but not sure. When I roll it into a ball to add Crisco to store, it starts to spread out. Any thoughts?

10 replies
madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

You have to get a feel for it....I work as much sugar into it as it will take until it is not sticky.....then I cover it with crisco wrap it twice in plastic wrap and bag it.....then when you go to work with it....if its sticky, you may need a bit more or just a dusting....hth

Shannie13 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:01am
post #3 of 11

I pick it up and if it stretches and droops towards the counter I add more powdered sugar. I also think an important step is to put it in the fridge to let it set up. I have used MMF for all my kid's cakes and they love it, I like to keep mine a little softer because of the chew factor. Just keep trying and you will get it!! took me quite a bit to figure out just where I like it!!!

madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 11

wow I can't imagine putting that in the fridge..........yikes, it would kill my arthritis trying to work with it cold ......heck i nuke it a few seconds just to get it soft to start kneading it when I use it. My grand daughter loves mmf.......I have been noticing more and more kids are eating it rather than pulling it off too.icon_smile.gif

CupCake_Caitlin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 11

I made MMF for the FIRST TIME on the weekend, took me three goes to get it smooth and on the cake - I LOVE IT and sooooo did the family!!

I loved how you could refrigerate and then microwave!! But true, I did not know how much icing sugar, so I went for the feel...

xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:19am
post #6 of 11

If you've never worked with fondant before I would recommend purchasing some premade fondant just so you can get a "feel" for it. Buy a small package of Wilton's and use it to play with (wouldn't recommend eating it though, yukky for that). Other than that I would recommend you add ps until it stops being sticky. You can always add more ps if you need it.

selfconclusion12 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:48am
post #7 of 11

I usually just get a feel for it to. If its still to sticky when I go to use it I just add more. I love that I can microwave it after its in the fridge. This is the only fondant I will make/use. I love it!

luv2c_cultures Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone! I guess I should go out and buy some premade stuff to figure out what it is really suppossed to feel like. I've made MMF a number of times, but I couldn't help to think that I wasn't adding enough PS...and I now think that I haven't. LOL! I will try your suggestions next time I make MMF. icon_smile.gif

selfconclusion12 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2c_cultures

Thanks everyone! I guess I should go out and buy some premade stuff to figure out what it is really suppossed to feel like. I've made MMF a number of times, but I couldn't help to think that I wasn't adding enough PS...and I now think that I haven't. LOL! I will try your suggestions next time I make MMF. icon_smile.gif

On my first fondant cake I used Wilton fondant. I tasted terrible, but gave me the feel. You can get it right at Walmart. I would suggest getting some and seeing how it feels though, like you said.

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 11

it's sort of like making bread...if you've ever done that. nowadays, bread making has gone outta style. i would follow the amount of sugar it has on the recipe until you get a feel for it. icon_wink.gif

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #11 of 11

It is also like kneading pie dough....I love making it, its fun...feels so smooth....mine does not feel like that dry wilton junk bleeeeeeck patoooey....lol....and I am glad haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%