Another Mmf Question

Decorating By luv2c_cultures Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 3:56am by madgeowens

luv2c_cultures  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 11

When I am making MMF, when do I know to stop adding powdered sugar? Do I stop once it becomes a dough? Or once it stops being sticky? I am always afraid of adding too much, so I think I might be stopping a bit early but not sure. When I roll it into a ball to add Crisco to store, it starts to spread out. Any thoughts?

10 replies
 madgeowens  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

You have to get a feel for it....I work as much sugar into it as it will take until it is not sticky.....then I cover it with crisco wrap it twice in plastic wrap and bag it.....then when you go to work with it....if its sticky, you may need a bit more or just a dusting....hth

Shannie13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:01am
post #3 of 11

I pick it up and if it stretches and droops towards the counter I add more powdered sugar. I also think an important step is to put it in the fridge to let it set up. I have used MMF for all my kid's cakes and they love it, I like to keep mine a little softer because of the chew factor. Just keep trying and you will get it!! took me quite a bit to figure out just where I like it!!!

madgeowens Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 11

wow I can't imagine putting that in the fridge..........yikes, it would kill my arthritis trying to work with it cold ......heck i nuke it a few seconds just to get it soft to start kneading it when I use it. My grand daughter loves mmf.......I have been noticing more and more kids are eating it rather than pulling it off too.icon_smile.gif

CupCake_Caitlin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 11

I made MMF for the FIRST TIME on the weekend, took me three goes to get it smooth and on the cake - I LOVE IT and sooooo did the family!!

I loved how you could refrigerate and then microwave!! But true, I did not know how much icing sugar, so I went for the feel...

xstitcher  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:19am
post #6 of 11

If you've never worked with fondant before I would recommend purchasing some premade fondant just so you can get a "feel" for it. Buy a small package of Wilton's and use it to play with (wouldn't recommend eating it though, yukky for that). Other than that I would recommend you add ps until it stops being sticky. You can always add more ps if you need it.

selfconclusion12  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:48am
post #7 of 11

I usually just get a feel for it to. If its still to sticky when I go to use it I just add more. I love that I can microwave it after its in the fridge. This is the only fondant I will make/use. I love it!

luv2c_cultures  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone! I guess I should go out and buy some premade stuff to figure out what it is really suppossed to feel like. I've made MMF a number of times, but I couldn't help to think that I wasn't adding enough PS...and I now think that I haven't. LOL! I will try your suggestions next time I make MMF. icon_smile.gif

selfconclusion12  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2c_cultures

Thanks everyone! I guess I should go out and buy some premade stuff to figure out what it is really suppossed to feel like. I've made MMF a number of times, but I couldn't help to think that I wasn't adding enough PS...and I now think that I haven't. LOL! I will try your suggestions next time I make MMF. icon_smile.gif

On my first fondant cake I used Wilton fondant. I tasted terrible, but gave me the feel. You can get it right at Walmart. I would suggest getting some and seeing how it feels though, like you said.

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

diane  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 11

it's sort of like making bread...if you've ever done that. nowadays, bread making has gone outta style. i would follow the amount of sugar it has on the recipe until you get a feel for it. icon_wink.gif

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #11 of 11

It is also like kneading pie dough....I love making it, its fun...feels so smooth....mine does not feel like that dry wilton junk bleeeeeeck patoooey....lol....and I am glad haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%