Covering Columns In Fondant Help....

Decorating By Gramms_Goodies Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 3:55am by tonedna

Gramms_Goodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 9

My intent is to cover separator columns with fondant with tylose added in for the legs of a standup spongebob cake. My question is...how in the world do I get it to stick to the columns long enough to dry, lol. icon_eek.gif Should I maybe "frost"' the columns with icing of some sort first? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 9

Just some water will do fine..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Gramms_Goodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Edna! How funny I watched your tutorial on youtube the other day and thought how talented you are icon_smile.gif

I was afraid to use only water and wanted to check with the talented CC'rs

G_Cakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:23am
post #4 of 9

Take a tablespoon of meringue powder and add a bit of water. This should make a great glue to adhere darn near anything.

Also I would not stand it up while drying maybe have the ends resting on something while the fondant has a chance to adhere to the colums.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Gramms_Goodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 9

Thanks MissLizzy!!! Will give it a whirl. icon_smile.gif

Gramms_Goodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 9

Ok, here are my findings. Water made the fondant slide around on the columns a little too much....so I tried the meringue powder w/ water and voila'! Stuck like, well...glue, LOL. Thanks for your help you two!!! Spongebob now has legs, icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:06am
post #7 of 9

Trick for you Gramma..too much water will make it slide..if you put the piece of fondant that you are going to adhere on top
of a moist paper towel it will give you enough moisture to glue fondant or gumpaste even on top of a cake..It should be wet just like when you wipe a table with a moist towel, never more than that or is trouble.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Gramms_Goodies Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:34am
post #8 of 9

Thanks Edna, that is wonderful information to know...I assure you, I used too much water icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:55am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramms_Goodies

Thanks Edna, that is wonderful information to know...I assure you, I used too much water icon_smile.gif

lol..we all do at some point..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%