Smash Cake - Best Icing/cake Flavors

Decorating By still_learning Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm by LittleLinda

still_learning Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a first birthday cake in two weeks for a friend and she said to do whatever icing and cake flavor(s) I want. What is a good idea for the smash cake since it's probably the first cake the little boy will ever have and he probably hasn't had eggs, chocolate, etc yet. Thanks!

8 replies
kristyokronley Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 9

My favorite to do, even though the Moms really don't apprieciate it is, really dark, rich, bold colors. The "year olds" are always fascinated by the bright colors and dig in!!!! It is the cutest thing to watch! Definately Buttercream and cake usually is vanilla or chocolate (I prefer chocolate). But really only the buttercream gets eaten. So don't spend alot of time on the smash cake.

poohsmomma Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 9

I like to stay with white cake and white buttercream frosting just for the sake of the clothes! But like ^^^ said, babies love bright colors, so the decorations are usually brighter and made to complement the big cake.
I like BC over fondant because a baby just can't get into the fondant the way he can the BC.
By the age of one, I feel that most babies have had eggs, chocolate, etc.

still_learning Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the replies! Can anyone suggest a good buttercream recipe? I typically use IMBC but I know my pediatrician says no egg whites until they're a year so a meringue based buttercream doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Thanks!

still_learning Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the replies! Can anyone suggest a good buttercream recipe? I typically use IMBC but I know my pediatrician says no egg whites until they're a year so a meringue based buttercream doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Thanks!

cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 9

Babies love banana cake!

still_learning Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 9

cylstrial - banana cake - I LOVE IT! My baby LOVES bananas so I'm guessing that would be a great smash cake flavor. Thank you! Do you typically use just a regular buttercream for the banana cake?

izzy1953 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 9

my very favorite to do for a smash cake is chocolate! i just always warn mom to remove their clothes before giving it to them. it just makes a nice mess all over which is what moms always want for pics!!!

LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 9

I always do chocolate cake for the smash cake because it makes the biggest mess. The whole idea of that smash cake is to get a great messy picture of the baby. (assuming the baby is not African American; then I would use a white cake.)

My favorite buttercream recipe I have been using for 27 years is:

2 lbs confectionary sugar
2 cups shortening
2 tsps. vanilla
1/2 cup water

I use my whip attachment and speed #8 on my Kitchen Aid for 2 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%