Do You Outsource Any Part Of A Cake ?

Business By sugarsugargal Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm by marmalade1687

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 25

I have done some short courses in sugar flower making and frankly hate making them, so laborious !!!! i was pondering if i go into business properly would i be able to outsource this aspect...anyone have any comments or experience ?

thanks as always icon_smile.gif

24 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 25

Just buy them from an online supplier. Someone gave me some links the other day. In the meantime, you can give it a go in Google. Like "sugar flowers", or gum paste flowers wholesale....lots of different search strings.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 25

I meant, let me find those links, if I still have them.

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 25

is it cheating ?! and do you tell the bride ?!?!?!

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 25

Why would it be cheating??? It isn't cheating. If I order them, they get applied to the price of the cake. For what I would have to charge for my GP flowers...forget it. I'll pay someone else to do it.

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 25

I have been wondering if there is a market for that. I love making the flowers and would like to sell them. I just did not know if people would buy them. They are so time consuming because I hand paint all of them. I don't even know what to charge for something like that.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 25

If the bride ever did ask, then yes, I would say I ordered them online. For the exact reason I just listed. I'm not good at them, and I don't have the patience to learn either. They can be purchased online for pretty cheap, and the people who do make them are quite skilled at it.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 25

In fact, there are a couple of people who outsource their monograms and lettering to me. icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora_333

I have been wondering if there is a market for that. I love making the flowers and would like to sell them. I just did not know if people would buy them. They are so time consuming because I hand paint all of them. I don't even know what to charge for something like that.

I've actually sold some on Craigslist before for decent amounts of $$. TX doesn't license home kitchens but the flowers can be sold as a decoration only, in which case it doesn't have to come from a licensed kitchen.

Aurora_333 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 25

So you don't have to be licensed to sell the flowers?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 25

As far as I know, you don't, because it's not a food item, it's a decoration. But probably someone will come along and say I'm totally wrong icon_biggrin.gif

Aurora_333 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 25

I am new to cake decorating and a stay at home mom. Thought that cake decorating would be the perfect solution for me, but I can't do it legally. So I won't do it, except for my immediate family. I enjoy making the flowers the most. So this may be the perfect solution.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugargal

"Cheating" implies something immoral (copying someone else's answers on a test) or something illegal. Buying pre-made flowers, pre-formed cardboards, pre-made fondant, pre-churned butter doesn't fall into either of those categories.

Do I tell the bride? Why? If she asks, I certainly will. But I dont' tell her where I buy my other supplies, so why would this even come up?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

"Cheating" implies something immoral (copying someone else's answers on a test) or something illegal. Buying pre-made flowers, pre-formed cardboards, pre-made fondant, pre-churned butter doesn't fall into either of those categories.

Do I tell the bride? Why? If she asks, I certainly will. But I dont' tell her where I buy my other supplies, so why would this even come up?

Yep, it's only "cheating" if you're telling everyone that you do one thing (make your flowers in this case) then go buy them instead. If nobody asks and they don't care, don't worry about it. if they ask, tell them. No big deal.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 25

Where is the best place to buy them?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 25

I buy 98% of my flowers. They come in, in white and I color them. I say that they're handmade, which they are. If brides ask, I say that some I make, some I buy, which is true. I do point out that I color them and add dusts and bring them to life.

I buy most of mine from David at www. a v a l o n d e c o .com. He appears to be a small biz like me and when I'm purchasing something I like to throw my $ to another small biz. He ships quick and packs well.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #17 of 25

I have decorators buy pieces from me all of the time. I make whatever they want not just flowers. I mail them and have absolutely no problem with them taking full credit for the cake and its decorations. If I had my way, I would not make cakes and would stick to just doing the decor portion of the cakes.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:25am
post #18 of 25

discountsugarflowers.com

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm
post #19 of 25

Check out Country Kitchen SweetArt - I have never used them but I saw them at ICES and got their catalog. I've never seen so much cake stuff in one catalog.

www.shopcountrykitchen.com

They apparently give discounts too for orders over $100

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #20 of 25

That is www.countrykitchensa.com I have their catalog and it is great, 10% off $100 and 15% off $200
also wholesalesugarflowers.com free shipping on $200 orders you can call them for a free catalog 1-800-593-8250

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #21 of 25

Just curious, do you markup the price on the purchased flowers or do you charge for the total cost?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #22 of 25

icon_lol.gif funny question.

Yeah, I mark up the flowers. I'm in biz to make money.

For some of them that cost about 90 cents each I get $4. I do NOT want to undercut the florist, so gumpaste flowers coat about the same as real.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

icon_lol.gif funny question.

Yeah, I mark up the flowers. I'm in biz to make money.

For some of them that cost about 90 cents each I get $4. I do NOT want to undercut the florist, so gumpaste flowers coat about the same as real.

Ok, cool! I thought so, I just wanted to make sure for future reference! Thanks a bunch! icon_biggrin.gif

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

EXACTLY! who asks "where did you get the flowers?" or "where did the butter come from?"....if someone asks that i'm sure i'd have a strange look as it is a strange question..and if they're asking about the little things, i can imagine what the rest of our run would be like together..imho! icon_confused.gif

make your job as easy and fun to do, afterall, our goal in life should be to be happy(whatever that means to you), and painting hard flowers is not fun to many icon_mad.gif , so don't do it...buy it icon_biggrin.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I buy 98% of my flowers. They come in, in white and I color them.

Doh!! (As I slap my hand on my head!!) icon_lol.gif I've been paying the extra money all these years for colored flowers just to find out that I can do this!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Another reason to keep reading Cake Central!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%