Original Cake Idea Inspirations

Decorating By Lori00 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm by Caralinc

Lori00 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 23

I've looked at a lot of cakes here and everywhere i can. I have books, magazines and the whole nine but I was wondering where everyone gets their cake decorating ideas from. I mean original. I can copy anyones cake but I want to offer something no one else has done especially wedding cakes. I see other peoples cakes and get really sad that I can't come up with something that amazing. I love to decorate but I usually copy anothers design just changing the colors and a few other things but to me it is still someone elses cake. Please help.

22 replies
Elise87 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 23

Well sometimes ideas just randomly pop into my head...but that doesn't really help you lol But other times i get ideas from objects i see around my house, wrapping papers, old birthday cards, just stuff like that. I sometimes do see things like pearls or something on lots of cakes that i go oh i would really like to do that or i see corenelli lace so i put them together in a cake and then add something that i havn't seen and is a bit different so it ends up not really being exactly like the other cakes.

You can take a lot of little bits and pieces as inspiration from a whole lot of cakes and combine them differently in another cakes so it doesn't look like anyone in particular, maybe try thinking of different ways to apply or use them because it's very hard to come up with something absolutly completely never seen before.

I am not prefessional and havn't done a whole heap of cakes especially wedding cakes but just throwing in some ideas there. Anyway hope that helps a bit icon_smile.gif

Lori00 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #3 of 23

Thanks. I guess I can do that. I love lace patterns and I've seen Ron Ben Israel use lace on his cakes. I hate watching him. He is so talented! Cake making is for girls! lol I need to make some dummie cakes for pictures. Any idea where i can get them or how to make them myself. Thanks for your help. I like being original!

catlharper Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 23

I'm an event coordinator as well so many times I'll see someone's cake or favors, dress or invitation and think "hey, I like that concept but what if I changed the color, altered the shape, added a ruffle and different flowers..." things like that. So when I find a cake here that I really like I take the details that I like about it and figure out how I would change it to make them mine...or use them with another cake concept. Sometimes I'll see something in a round vase and think "I like that but I'd use sunflowers instead of roses and a square vase instead of round"...so I end up with some completely different design that was inspired by someone else's design. So find what moves you in a cake, or a pattern and then figure out what you'd do differently or what you'd add or subtract and find a way to keep the "flavor" of the cake you found without copying it.

Elise87 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:28am
post #5 of 23

I have only done one dummy cake and i bought them from my local decorating store (you could also buy them online too but i don't know any specific stores) so might want to try there first. They don't cost much in the long run cose you can keep resusing them, although i still have to get the courage to break of my first design on them lol You could make your own but i think it is jsut easier to buy them.

and to catlharper's post: exactly thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 23

Myself, I try and get them to design there own cake........its so cool for them to design it and sketch it and then to see it become a cake at the end.....I have done this with two kids 12 and 13 and they were tickled.
Other than that I ask what they have in mind, what do they like and go from there.
If it were me I would make princess cakes all day hahah I love pretty, but everyone seems to be macho lately grrrr lol........let your creative juices flow, thats what you do.

rblee Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 9:31am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori00

I need to make some dummie cakes for pictures. Any idea where i can get them or how to make them myself.

Order cake dummies from Dallas Foam http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html If you click on the Order Online button, you will see the different sizes they have - and they have everything. Their prices are a lot cheaper than regular cake decorating stores, but I don't know how much the shipping is.

LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 23

I rarely do wedding cakes; but, in general, I see cake designs in everything I see. Today somebody sent me an e-mail with some pretty butterflies on it ... I could take or leave the message in the e-mail; but was so attracted to the butterflies!

Lori00 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 23

Thanks for all your helpful hints and suggestion. I will take them all into consideration the next time I make a cake which is next month for a birthday. I will also check out the site for cake dummies. Has anyone used the cake design software yet? if so how do you like it? I was thinking about buy it because I am a horrible artist! The cost is 69.95 and was wondering if was worth it.

tatorchip Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 23

here is an idea. I made BUTCH THE BUTCHER and MARISSA THE TEENAGER KILLED IN A DRUNK/DRIVE CAR WREAK (she was 16 and her boyfriend was driving drunk) had to throw in a message for my granddaughters 13th birthday halloween party. I made all the props and I used ballons to start off with for their heads and clay and wigs and anyway I know this is not cake but letting you know where ideas can come from. I just thought of a story then made the props from there and my daughter made the cake. She put a flicker light threw cake and under pot then put dry ice in pot and it looked so real. Just sharing

tatorchip Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 23

i am trying to post pictures

tatorchip Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 23

Sorry but the pics are over 800 pixels and can't post really sorry icon_redface.gificon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

here is an idea. I made BUTCH THE BUTCHER and MARISSA THE TEENAGER KILLED IN A DRUNK/DRIVE CAR WREAK (she was 16 and her boyfriend was driving drunk) had to throw in a message for my granddaughters 13th birthday halloween party. I made all the props and I used ballons to start off with for their heads and clay and wigs and anyway I know this is not cake but letting you know where ideas can come from. I just thought of a story then made the props from there and my daughter made the cake. She put a flicker light threw cake and under pot then put dry ice in pot and it looked so real. Just sharing

Sounds like you worked your heart out, and although someone else might enjoy them, right now, I'm kinda glad the pics won't go through. We just watched the "Texting While Driving Kills" film from the UK, where the graphic images of the accident were shown. No offense, but show me later.

As for inspiration, honey, that's what camera phones are for. I find inspiration everywhere I go - stores, buildings, you name it. I've taken pieces from several other cakes and put them together to make a design of my own, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

nanikins Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 23

Stationary/cards
Gift wrap/gift bags/boxes
Jewelry designs
China/dishware patterns
Fabric
Scrapbook paper

Actually, after a while....everything makes you think cake, I believe.

playingwithsugar Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

Actually, after a while....everything makes you think cake, I believe.

So true. I have photos of wrought iron bistro chair backs that would make great panels for a hex cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SpringFlour Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:59pm
post #16 of 23

I don't scrap, but when I go through the scrapbook paper section of JoAnn's, I get a TON of ideas. The baby shower cake with the booties in my photos was scrapbook-paper-inspired. I'll go through and buy the sheets that I really like, then I can refer to them when I'm decorating. It's pretty cheap source of inspiration.

I'm like some of the others, too. I see cake design in everything!

sadsmile Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #17 of 23

Wall paper, architecture, fashion, fabric, modern art, sculpture, nature, greeting-love-wedding-Bday-get well cards, You can even be inspired looking at bedding and bath stuff and fine flat ware or crystal to corel on-line for patterns and color. Even myspace layouts.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #18 of 23
Quote:

Thanks. I guess I can do that. I love lace patterns and I've seen Ron Ben Israel use lace on his cakes. I hate watching him. He is so talented! Cake making is for girls! lol I need to make some dummie cakes for pictures. Any idea where i can get them or how to make them myself. Thanks for your help. I like being original!

Don't let Doug hear you saying that! icon_wink.gif

Elise87 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Quote:

Don't let Doug hear you saying that! icon_wink.gif

lol

Lori00 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:19am
post #20 of 23

sorry doug no offense! : ) I wish I had Ben Israels talent. But you all are correct. I just have to use what is around me. But the scrapbook paper is a good idea. But do most people let you decide what their cake is going to look like or do you just let them tell you what they like and you take it from there? I've had people who have no idea what they want and I have to come up with something based on what I know about them. Maybe I can hire someone to do the artist part of the whole cake decorating thing! lol.. Naaahh then I'll miss out. I will practice and post. thanks!

LittleLinda Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 8:06pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Sorry but the pics are over 800 pixels and can't post really sorry icon_redface.gificon_sad.gif

Go to http://shrinkpictures.com/. It is free and it lets you shrink a pictue and save it with less pixels ... then you just post your "new" picture.

sugarsugargal Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 23

i find inspiration in every day thing as people have said already, patterns, colours and all manner of things i see daily....it can help to keep a scrap book of ideas, collect things that you like, for any reason and hang on to them to leaf thru for inspiration when the ideas well runds dry icon_smile.gif hope this helps x

Caralinc Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #23 of 23

So true, I was wondering the same thing. Where does everyone get their inspiration from.

I have been doing the same thing! Looking at patterns and say - hey, that would be a great cake design. I have started a book of pictures/ scraps of designs I see for future inspiration of designs and color ideas.

Nanikins - just like you said - everything I see now I think of cake. hehehe. I am so a cake addict. lol icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%