Will It Keep Or Should I Make Another?

Decorating By janetrie Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm by janetrie

janetrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetrie Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 7

A friend asked me to make a cake for her sister who is having a baby (planned C-section, she wants to take it to the hospital). I have my last gum paste and fondant class on Tuesday night and I was going to give her the cake from the that on Wednesday morning to take to the hospital. Now, the date has been pushed back and she wants to pick up the cake on Friday.

Will the cake still be fresh and safe if left in a cake keeper at room temperature that long or should I plan on making a new one Thursday? The cake will be fondant over buttercream with buttercream mixed with shredded coconut filling.

Thanks for any advice!

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 7

I think you would be okay, you might want to put it in the fridge

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 7

Not trying to make extra work for ya but I'd make a new one if I were you.

I'm just anally retentive when it come to freshness.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 7

If you bake the cake on Tuesday morning, take it with you to class on Tuesday night - and the cake is being covered in fondant....

... it will be perfectly fine for Friday (as long as your fillings aren't perishable (- ie fresh cream, etc).

There's no need to put a fondant covered cake in the fridge. Just keep it in a cake box somewhere cool (shaded room or such).

Suzanne x

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7

Fondant helps keep the cake fresh. You could keep it a few days with no problems. You don't want to store it in a cake keeper, though. Fondant covered cakes need to be stored in a box that's not airtight so that the moisture of the cake doesn't make the fondant all sticky and ugly looking icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 7

Do not put that cake in an airtight container...yuch! Cakes gotta breathe!

janetrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetrie Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%