How Long Can I Store Antonia74 Cookie Icing?

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm by dandelion56602

meredith1851 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 9

How long does this icing last and what is the best way to store it? Thanks!

8 replies
antonia74 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 9

Thinned royal icing will separate into three distinct layers when left to sit for an extended period. Untinted, the top layer is fluffy/spongey/marshmallowy, the middle is a pale yellow runny liquid and the bottom is thick/dense/solid. The separation process will start within 24 hours or so.

I have a little blurb about storage tips written at the end of the article I wrote on icing cookies....

"Any leftover icing is best stored at room temperature. If you arent using it right away, you can pour it into sandwich bags and remove all the air before sealing. Or, place in an airtight container, pat plastic wrap or parchment paper directly onto the icing and attach the lid. I have kept it up to 30 days without worry. It will separate and thin slightly during storage, and will require a touch of icing sugar and a few minutes of re-mixing before using again."

You can find the rest at:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/112

thumbs_up.gif

meredith1851 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 9

Thank you very much!

meredith1851 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 9

1 more question if you don't mind. I have used this icing a few times and enjoy working with it. Is there a way to get a shinier icing? Thank you.

antonia74 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #5 of 9

Some people add a tablespoon or two of clear corn syrup to the recipe I think?

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 9

I have had success freezing mine as well. I usually put in in the container, pat plastic wrap on top, then either wax paper or another layer of plastic then put the lid on. I take it out when I need it. It'll thaw rather quickly. (I usually freeze in smaller batches so I don't have an entire batch to thaw)

cylstrial Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 9

I think my cookies come out pretty shiny (and I don't add anything to them). I use Antonia74's recipe as well.

cinderspritzer Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 9

I get the musty smell and bitter taste that comes with royal icing out by adding a little lemon juice. You can make them shinier by adding some light corn syrup. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 9

I always add almond extract. A little goes a long way & it doesn't go "funky" after sitting out for (I've done) up to a week. I've found that butter flavoring in it tastes different after sitting out a few days. It's not rancid tasting, just not as good

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%