Buttercream Not Sticking To My Cake????...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 11

Why would my buttercream icing not stick to my cake. I have done many cakes before, but this is the first??

Have any of you dealt with this problem before??

I use a Hi ratio BC receipe. No butter, just shorening, Powdered Sugar. Sugarshacks receipe.

It is a Chocolate round cake. I froze and defrosted. I don't crumbcoat, like I said I have done many cakes, so crumbcoat has never been a issue....

Thank you for the help in advance....

10 replies
dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 11

Is the cake dry to the touch?, I also freeze and thaw to decorate and if the cake is even the slightest bit "wet" from the unthaw the icing doesn't stick. Such a pain! Good luck! princess.gif

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 11

This happens to me sometimes, too. I hope someone has an answer. I always think it's because my BC is too stiff, but I really don't know.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 11

Your icing is too stiff or the cake is too moist. Is it a new cake recipe?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 11

I generally find that it's either because my buttercream is too stiff, or because my cake is too moist and/or crumby. In either case, try thining your BC a bit more. Doing a crumb coat first helps, too--you don't have to get a lot on there to make a good surface for the next layer.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 11

Sounds like your BC is too stiff. Try adding a little corn syrup or simple syrup to the BC to thin it.

Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks folks!! I think it was because my cake was soooo crumby. It was a choc. cake. Usually these cakes tend to me more crumby than others. I was having a problem with crumbs in my icing. Maybe next time I will do a crumb coat on my choc. cakes...

Thanks again...

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 9:00am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Thanks folks!! I think it was because my cake was soooo crumby. It was a choc. cake. Usually these cakes tend to me more crumby than others. I was having a problem with crumbs in my icing. Maybe next time I will do a crumb coat on my choc. cakes...

Thanks again...

I do the same with my choc. cakes too!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 11

Another suggestion - do you use Wilton's icing tip? I used it religiously for years, but always had the occasional problem of the icing not sticking to the sides of my cake. Finally realized that I was getting air pockes from the "stripes" created by using the tip. I switched to using the large coupler with no tip (it's about a 3/8" opening, I think), and Sugarshack's instructional DVD. Works like a charm and I haven't had an issue with either airpockets or sliding icing since.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 11

i have always crumb coated my chocolate cakes. i just do.. whether they look crumble or not.. hth

Mikel79 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 11

missmeg.....

I use Sharon Zambito's methods as well. I believe my issue was the moisture on my cake. I freeze my cakes, and did not let this one thaw properly. The cake was somewhat wet, and also verrrrrrrrry crumbly. I believe these two issues were my problem...

Thank you...
=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%