Renting A Shop Verses Selling At Home

Business By MissCakeCrazy Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm by colleenant

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 5

I live in London and I have been approached by a bridal shop (while handing out my business cards) to part rent the shop. Half of the shop will be mine and I will also have space for a window display. I told her I make my cakes at home and she said that I am the sort of person she is looking for. I have never considered actually owning a business and renting a shop before, it was just a pipedream to me. I am really confused. I don't know what issue's are involved in this and if I can cope with the stress even though it sounds like a fantastic opportunity. I will obviously bake and decorate at home, I don't think the bridal shop will have a decent kitchen. Can anyone give me some advice? Would I end up getting more revenue if I actually have a shop rather than just doing it at home (taking into account the rent costs)?

4 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm, very interesting proposition. I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. I think it's great that you have an option like that though. I'm sure you'd have more business being able to have a display area in the bridal shop, plus all the brides coming there. They can get their dress and cake ordered in one place. Kinda cool Good luck in whatever you decide and keep us posted!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

You'll just have to figure out how much money rent will cost and what you're responsible for (such as electricity, etc).

I have to agree that you would probably get a lot of business from the brides going to shop. But you would probably have to have someone to take orders for you (because if you're at home making the cakes, there's no one to tend to the brides). Maybe you could have one set day that you are there all day. And anyone who is interested can call you?

It's definitely something to think about.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 5

Well..The big issue is are you licensed?? If so then I would say look into if further..If you are just home baking I would be reluctant to do that in case of legal issues etc should someone fall sick.Also if the shop doesn't own a kitchen then someone would have to be licensed and if you are already then that won't be an issue since you can sub-contract to the shop.Find out first what she seriously has in mind..how much of a percentage does she want from your cakes..if any but usually they do.How much for rent? Are you considered a partner or sub-contractor? Many things to consider.Have her draw up a contract and have a lwayer look at it first before you sign anything...Don't over look anything!!

colleenant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenant Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 5

If you're ready for alot more business then you should consider it. This is the opportunity for someone that wants more business because you will reach people you never would have otherwise. The cost (rent) is a huge factor; perhaps let her know you would like a 3 month trial run to see if new business from the shop will cover your expenses and then you can reevaluate the situation then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%