Rope As A Border

Decorating By WildSugar Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm by indydebi

WildSugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making my friends wedding cake for this weekend, and for a border around all 3 tiers she wants rope. Not fondant rope, REAL rope. Which is fine, but i have no idea how to do this! She doesn't like the jute i have, she wants it bigger like a real rope. So we were thinking about getting a kids lariat and using that. But i'm worried about making it stick because it's a square cake and those ropes are pretty set in their round ways when they are new. Any suggestions?

8 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 9

Not only that, but what about the little pieces that fray off rope when you bend it and cut it? Yuch! Little "hairs" everywhere!

The only thing I can think of, if you realy don't want to make edible rope, is cut it at the edges of the sqaures and line them up in pieces. Which is going to cause all kinds of fraying and little pieces to fall off. Ummmm, good luck?

WildSugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 9

I haven't seen the rope she is talking about yet, but it MIGHT be a synthetic so it wont have the fibers. I dont know though. But that is a good idea cutting the strips for each side.!

bakecaker Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 9

Maybe you can cut the rope and spray it with a clear gloss to prevent fraying? Also, for plastic rope you can burn the edges to prevent it. As far as sticking it to the cake i think i would go with a small line of royal icing. Good luck!

brincess_b Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

you might just need to tell your friend you will try to use the rope she brings you, but if its not working, then you will be making a fondant rope.

hjustesen Posted 30 Aug 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 9

You might present these issues to her and offer to put the rope around the base of the cake (like around the plate it stands on), or even form a lariat on the table as part of the table decoration. I don't know, I think cutting the rope at the corners would make a mess, (and if you melted the ends they would still look really funny) and it wouldn't look all that great, either. The new ropes are pretty stiff, though, so I can't imagine it would take those tight corners and look good. Of course, you could cut the rope at the corners, but cover all the corners of the cake with some other decoration to hide the cuts...

Good luck!

ninatat Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 9

Hi is it a boat themed cake just curious why does she want rope/real rope, what about a solid color jump rope

matthewkyrankelly Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 9

You are right. You are never going to get a rope to do a 90 degree angle. I would cut the rope as well. However, discuss the ends with the client. Maybe you could tie some knots separately and place them at the corners or pipe a finish at the corners with BC.

indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 9

JoAnn Fabric has a lot of trim materials (like you'd put around pillows 'n such). I was just in there a couple of days ago. I spent about 30 minutes just looking at the selection and thinking about all the cool cakes I could make with all of those trims!! Check there and you might find a 'softer' rope that would work better.

The idea mentioned above about wrapping it around the cake base (cardboard) is a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%