Wedding Shows! Omg.. I Just Booked My First...

Business By muddpuppy Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 2:30am by muddpuppy

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 8

Okie dokie!!! I've just booked my first big wedding show and was wondering if any of your show vetrans had some advice for the newbie?!?! I'm kinda scared and excited and worried and happy all at the same time!!! lol.. How many dummies do I need? What sort of hand outs should I have? Should I be trying to book appo9intments on that day or is my goal to sell cakes that day?? Help!!! lol

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 8

Yeah!! I'm excited for you? When is the show? (Basically, how much time do you have to prepare is what I'm really asking?)

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 8

I usually bring my appointment book just in case, and I usually wind up booking several appointments at the show. It helps to have "appointment cards" available to give them, kind of like the ones you get from the dr.s office. I printd mine for free on vista print.

I also set a goal for myself at the last show I participated in to get one bride to sign and put a deposit down AT THE SHOW!!! I couldn't believe it, but the second bride at my booth did it icon_biggrin.gif She was oohing and ahhing over the displays, we got to talking and she told her mom "I want that one" and I got out the contract, it was amazing. Now, I don't realistically expect that at every show, but it's good to set a goal.

You'll need several dummies, at least 4 I'd say, depending on the size of your table.

As far as handouts, have a sheet created with the basic info for them to review, plus any special services you may offer that sets you apart: do you dress the cake table, stay to cut the cake, rent a server set, have a unique flavor etc

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8

I do about 3-5 shows a year, depending on how we are doing. It depends on how much room you have, but I put out 6-8 dummies. I put out a couple of cakes that everyone loves, the simple buttercream cake design with ribbon, etc,. I have one outragious cake that is just Wow, that is wild, and several expensive, really beaituful cakes, and one present cake, and one purse cake with a shoe (the brides love it) I put out three cake flavors (I beleive in cutting the cake at the show, not bringing mini muffin type cakes as they dry up fast and dont have fillings) and put out big signs what flavors I have so you aren't spending all your time teling people flavors instead of talking to brides. I bring pens, and I dont care what people say, they work. I get calls from my pens all the time! It also encouranges them to sign up for my mailing list. I agree, bring an appintment book, and contracts and appointment cards. And have really NICE quality business cards and brochures, try to avoid making cheap ones on your computer. They reflect your company when the bride gets home with all her handouts and doesnt remember who she talked to. Put your flavors on it and PRICES. I know, everyone says dont put up prices, but these days, that is the brides focus. Prices. I put prices on all my dummies (as shown) and am ready to give prices for brides that put photos in your face and say "how much!"

Dont be disapinted if you dont book anything at the show, many brides do not book cakes at the shows, they just want to taste your cake and look around. Dont be pushy.

Have a nice clean booth, thats not crowded and is easy to follow your layout. Have as many photos as you can, in a nice book. Nice tableclothes, nice banners. I had Yard Signs made at Vista print, they turned out really well, and used them as banners! Dress nice, wear GOOD shoes as your feet will kill you and bring a lot of water with you!

Good luck and most of all have fun! I LOVE doing shows!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 8

.......I beleive in cutting the cake at the show, not bringing mini muffin type cakes......

Most health depts no longer allow this. It must be in a lidded cup. Better check out the rules for your county health dept. when you apply for the special license needed.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......I beleive in cutting the cake at the show, not bringing mini muffin type cakes......

Most health depts no longer allow this. It must be in a lidded cup. Better check out the rules for your county health dept. when you apply for the special license needed.

That isnt a problem in our area, (shoot, some booths even give out wine and such, which surprised me!) but I agree, if your area has a code where you have give out your samples wrapped, then I would check into it.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for all the advice!!! You guys are the best!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%