Making A Large Cake

Decorating By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm by creations08

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 6

How do you get a large cake like a 14" square out of the pan and on to the 1st layer with out breaking it? icon_cry.gif

5 replies
msulli10 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 6

First I would make sure the pan was lined with parchment paper. Once cooled, I would flip it on to a cardboard cake board. Then you match up all the sides and gently slide the cardboard away from the cake on to your bottom layer.
You can also try lining up an edge and then flipping right onto of the bottom layer. That one makes me nervous.
Even if your cake breaks a little, it shouldn't matter since the crumb coat will seal it nicely. Hoep this helps.

Clovers Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 6

I just did a 14" this past weekend.

I had one layer right on the cake board, and the second on a cookie sheet that had no sides. Then I placed my hands palm side up under the cake and just slowly slide my hands under the cake until my finger tips were JUST at the far side of the cake, then I just moved the second layer above the first, matched up my corners farthest from me (by sight) then placed those corners down and slid my hands back slowly letting the cake down on top of the second layer - worked fine.

Clovers Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 6

*I should have added - basically once I had my hands in the right spot, I was using both my inside forearms to hold the cake, so it was very stable.

pattigunter Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 6

I use the Wilton Cake Lifter to put it on top of the next layer.

creations08 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with "msulli10", once the cake is on a cake board I hold over the first layer, and slowly slide the 2nd layer off. Another thing I like doing with large a cake; is stick them in the freezer, to make them easier to handle. HTHS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%