Whitby, Ontario Business Regs?

Business By cakecitycakes Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:41am by G_Cakes

cakecitycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

Does any have some info. on the regulations in Whitby, Ontario as it relates to being a cake decorator out of your own home? I've been researching and can't find anything very helpful, I know some regions require a separate kitchen but I'm just not sure for my region. As well if anyone knows the ins and outs of a home-based decorator selling to a restaurant. Any links to the relevant info. that would be so super helpful too. I plan on doing the certification that gives me a Food Handler certificate as a start.

Many thanks in advance,

7 replies
tracey1970 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 8

Nicole - there used to be an article on the CC home page about starting a cake business in Canada. Since they re-did the website, it's not there anymore, and I can't find it in the Articles section either. Don't know what happened to it or whether it would be of help to you?? Maybe someone else knows where it went?

On a side note, if you are on Facebook, we have a cake group called Ontario Cake Girlz. It's a members-only group, but all you have to do is send a message to the group administrator, telling her you are an Onatrio caker. If you are not already aware of this group, please join us!

kello Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry I can't help, but I would love to know more info as well. I have search for hours and haven't found any solid info. I'm not sure who to contact first or where to begin.
What exactly is a food handler cert.?

cakecitycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 8

Hi Kello,
The food handler cert. was something a restaurant owner put me onto - they have all they staff be 'certified' and it is managed through the dept. of health in each region. Here is a link in Durham, http://www.durham.ca/health.asp?nr=/departments/health/health_protection/fdprep.htm&setFooter=/includes/health/healthFooterEnviro.txt .

Hey Tracey, I'm on facebook too so I'll definitely join the group and thanks! I'll keep looking for the article on cc too.

kello Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the info, and the facebook info too Tracey.
I once looked at the article on here and it wasn't very helpful at all....well for me anyway. I don't know what happened to it, but there wasn't much.

G_Cakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 8

Wow...I live in Oshawa and I am trying to get set up here and let me tell you it is a process!!!

Municipal and provincial licensing, zoning, health and building regulations.

If you want to PM me and I will send you via email all the links to websites that will have the info you need from durham region.

Hope you like to read cause there is a lot of reading to do LOL.

Miss Lizzy

meenu Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:37pm
post #7 of 8

I wonder if the rules are the same across Ontario. I live in Toronto and would like some information on this.

G_Cakes Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 8

Meenu the best thing you could do is to go to the City of Toronto web site, from there click on By-Laws.

The ones you will have to read are Zoning, Health, Fire and Building By-laws.

I am sure they will be very similar to what we are reading here in Durham Region.

Also you will have to obtain a municipal license and a provincial license.

I don't know what the cost of them would be in Toronto but I am sure you could find out from the web site...good luck and message me if you need any help navigating through all the reading icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%