Cricut Cakes....pictures

Decorating By Charmed Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 6:55am by silverdragon997

PAUPAU04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PAUPAU04 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #91 of 137

I am waiting for the BF sale to. Michael's and AC moore has the same cricut for 99. SCAL is a must have program. I am still kicking myself for waiting so long to get it.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #92 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecontessa1

i got my cricut in the mail, i can't get it to cut the fondant, Can someone give exact instructions please? I'm trying to cut out names. Everyone says it's so easy what am I missing. I know there is a video but I'm tryig to get this to work before the holiday. I will order the video later.

If your just using fondant I would recomend a little tylose in it then roll very thin and let it sit out to kind of harden... You will need the deep cut blade.. You can cut your edible sheets if you need them right away and they cut with the green blades...

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #93 of 137

Wow, so much info. I love all the things you can do with the cricut, I will be buying one soon. I'll have to read through everything when I get home so I will know what to buy. I'm sure I will have to PM some of you with questions later. Thanks for all the info and pictures of your cricut cakes.

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #94 of 137

I'm definitely buying a cicut at the BF sale too!! I'm so excited....I'm AWFUL at lettering but I've always been a bit of a graphic design wannabe nerd so I'm excited!

pippilotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pippilotta Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 11:24am
post #95 of 137

My next cricut cake icon_biggrin.gif

I used the deep (blue) housing with blade
Blade depth = 4
Speed = low
Pressure = med

The original design is from a fabric pic I found in the web, adapted with inkscape and cut with scal

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #96 of 137

I've had a Cricut Expression for about a year now. I got it on Thanksgiving last year at Michael's for $199. (I had them price match Walmart which they weren't supposed to do... lol) but it has been a blast! I haven't used it for cakes yet... I've been too worried to try to stick fondant through it but I think I'll be trying sometime soon. I have made TONS of vinyl for my walls and other things... it's so nice to be able to make my own sayings and that way I don't have to put holes in my walls either. I also highly recommend SCAL. You can design anything with Inkscape and do it yourself instead of purchasing all of those really expensive cartridges which limit your possibilities.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #97 of 137

thank you ladies and gents. The last few post have help me understand how to use cricut, and how helpful it can be

CakeyThings Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 12:45am
post #98 of 137

Hey everyone,
I went to get my cricut today and guess what.....Tonight till 9pm and tomorrow morning it's 69.99 at Michael's for the Original Cricut......considering its origianlly 200$ thats a heck of a deal!!!! I picked one up!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #99 of 137

boy I sure wish I lived in the States!!!! I just bought one, new in the package, on e-bay.ca and with shipping it was $335. And I consider that a heck of a deal, considering that new they are $450. But all of your photos have totally inspired me!!!! So it's all YOUR faults!!!! Oh well, consider it my Christmas gift!

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:23am
post #100 of 137

Okay got my Cricut and have a question about the mat. Do I use the back of the mat with a thin layer of Crisco or do I try to remove all the sticky stuff on the front side? I can't imagine that the sticky stuff would be food safe? Do I have to have the deep housing blade for fondant/gumpaste?

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #101 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaG21

Okay got my Cricut and have a question about the mat. Do I use the back of the mat with a thin layer of Crisco or do I try to remove all the sticky stuff on the front side? I can't imagine that the sticky stuff would be food safe? Do I have to have the deep housing blade for fondant/gumpaste?

Do Not use your mat upside down, you'll get your cricut all gunky and might mess the whole machine up if it gets stuck on the bottom and drags on the feed rollers etc! I highly reccomend Linda McClures dvd's she explains every single step in the process very clearly. I do know someone who does not remove the adheasive, but sticks waxed paper to the mat, criscos the paper and attaches the GP to that. Also yes, you need a deep cut blade. Best of luck! Here are 2 helpful links I just posted in another Cricut thread. Man we almost need a Cricut Decorating Fourm started up!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....40769.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....39855.html

CakeyThings Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 7:51am
post #102 of 137

I'm trying out my cricut with gumpaste and the edges seem so raggly......am i not letting it dry enuff?

Also

people will stop looking at us like nutters soon
I noticed at the Florida ICES mini classes

Using the Cricut Cutter- Norm Davis
Norman will show how to cut out fondant/gum paste by using the electronic Cricut cutter. You will see how simple it is to cut out intricate lace pieces, characters, flowers and numbers and place them on your cake. This method is so quick and easy. Now, what you can do for scrap booking you can also do on cake.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:52am
post #103 of 137

pippilotta
Thank you for posting the software info and the settings for the machine.

I absolutely love your cake!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #104 of 137

This is all so interesting!

Jen icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #105 of 137

Here's a cricut cake I just made. Also, I had mentioned probably in a previous thread, that the easiest way to get rid of the tacky surface on the cricut mat is to spray it with WD40, let it sit a few minutes, then just scrape it all off. Of course, make sure you wash the mat thoroughly afterwards.
LL

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:39am
post #106 of 137

Gorgeous cake Sharon!

Has anyone tried putting a piece of wax paper on the cutting mat, then covering the wax paper with a thin smear of crisco? I've seen Leah-S suggest that on the forums, but wanted to see if anyone else had used this method?

Also, not sure if I can ask this or not, but does anyone have Linda Mcclure's DVD they'd be willing to sell me?? I'm looking to buy it used to cut down the ever-growing expenses that are satisfying my cake obsession. icon_razz.gif

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:00am
post #107 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

Gorgeous cake Sharon!

Has anyone tried putting a piece of wax paper on the cutting mat, then covering the wax paper with a thin smear of crisco? I've seen Leah-S suggest that on the forums, but wanted to see if anyone else had used this method?icon_razz.gif

I haven't tried this with wax paper, but I have done this with Press n' Seal Wrap. I place Press n' Seal onto my sticky mat and roll my fondant onto that. I find that rolling the fondant onto the mat works for me - no need for shortening.

The downside is that Press n' Seal is textured so that pattern will transfer to fondant, but that's just ONE side so no problem for me. Easy cleanup too.

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 8:20pm
post #108 of 137

thanks thumbs_up.gif

iwantalicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantalicakes Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:21am
post #109 of 137

Do you put the sticky side of the press and seal up or down on your mat?I would think sticky side up, that way the fondany can stick to it..great idea because it's food safe

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:33am
post #110 of 137

I scrubbed off the sticky stuff with a Mr. Klean eraser and water. Fondant stays on with a very light coating of crisco.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:33am
post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantalicakes

Do you put the sticky side of the press and seal up or down on your mat?I would think sticky side up, that way the fondany can stick to it..great idea because it's food safe

I actually do sticky side down (my mat is losing some of its stickiness). I roll my fondant onto the press n seal so it stays put (no shortening, nothing needed). The force from rolling keeps my fondant in place.

I've also tried this with wax paper, but the wax paper would wrinkle too easily and leave slight humps on my fondant surface.

mommyle Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:13am
post #112 of 137

I bought the video. I got a little distracted by her reading the cue cards in a rhythm, but I LOVED the video otherwise!!!! Super informative and simply excellent! But I haven't finished it yet, so no one ruin it for me and tell me how it ends!!!! HAHHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 3:36am
post #113 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

I bought the video. I got a little distracted by her reading the cue cards in a rhythm, but I LOVED the video otherwise!!!! Super informative and simply excellent! But I haven't finished it yet, so no one ruin it for me and tell me how it ends!!!! HAHHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!

LOL, LOL, I felt the same way about the cue card reading icon_lol.gif but yes it is incredibly informative, I had to make myself get over it icon_smile.gif Also there were parts that were a weeeee bit repetitive (now we put on his hat, now we put on his boots, now we put on his vest) but I just fast forwarded and I guess for people who have never used the Cricut it was really good to cover every single step, very good teaching dvd thumbs_up.gif Oh and if your copy doesn't have the gumpaste recipe I tried to type it all out if you want it. Andrea

mommyle Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #114 of 137

Oh, I would VERY much appreciate that!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #115 of 137

I WANT ONE!!!!!!

cakecontessa1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecontessa1 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #116 of 137

They are coming out with a cricut just for cake!!of course after I bought mine!

mommyle Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:47am
post #117 of 137

So I finally bit the bullet, and used my bug for a cake!!!! YAY me!!!

There are a variety of techniques at play here, but I used my BRAND NEW air brush and compressor (the same one that most tan salons use) to color the pieces after my bug cut them!!! What a fantastic day I had!!!!
LL

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #118 of 137

Great thread! Saving for when my Cricut comes in, I preordered today! Woo! Hoo! My husband is probably going to be pissed, but he will just have to get over it. icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

aide27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aide27 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #119 of 137

I HAVE A CRICUT AND THE WAY THAT I USE IT ,IS THIS.I USED A KODAK PHOTO PAPER ONE TIME AND THAT REMOVED ALL THE STICKY GLUE.I USED IT WITH THE BUTTERCREAM SHEETS AND THEY COME WITH A PAPER,THAT WILL LET TOUCH THE BUTTERCREAM TO THE GLUE.I USED THE DIP BLADE IN THREE AND I USED THE MULTI CUT BOTTOM.THE MULTI CUT BOTTOM CUTS MORE THAN 2 TIMES ,DO NOT LET IT CUT MORE THAN 2 TIMES OR THE DESIGN WILL BE COME OFF FROM THE SHEET BEFORE IF FINISH THE 3RD CUT.HOPE THIS WORK FOR YOU.I DO NOT KNOW IF I WANT TO PAY FOR ANOTHER CRICUT CAKE BECAUSE THIS REGULAR WORKS FOR ME.

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #120 of 137

I just wanted to share my latest cake done with my cricut create. I did this cake for a bridal show on Saturday. It was a huge hit. This cake is iced in butter cream and I used Tobias' gum paste recipe. This cake is in my gallery, but did not get many views. thanks for looking....I love my cricut icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%