Will Gumpaste Stay Hard If I Lay On Wet Strawberries

Decorating By madras650 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:05am by ceshell

madras650 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 5

Sounds kinda dirty icon_redface.gif

I am making the Ohio State "O" out of strawberries, can I lay the buckeye leaves made out of gum paste on top of the berries without the gum paste turning soft and disintegrating?

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

Why don't you just pipe them out of buttercream? Buttercream piped leaves are easier to me thatn the ordeal of gum paste.

I mean the strawberries have a brief shelf life I guess the gum paste leaves wouldn't have a chance to melt by then.

madras650 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Why don't you just pipe them out of buttercream? Buttercream piped leaves are easier to me than the ordeal of gum paste.

I mean the strawberries have a brief shelf life I guess the gum paste leaves wouldn't have a chance to melt by then.

Great Idea, but I am "buttercream challenged", I may have to go with that idea. I was hoping to get a clean crisp leaf. See pic attached

The gum paste would probably be on the strawberries for less than 12 hours.

any more suggestions?
LL

prterrell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

Cut a piece of parchment paper exactly the size and shape of the leaf. Attach to the leaf with a bit of royal icing. That will create a moisture barrier between the gumpaste and the strawberries.

ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #5 of 5

You can also do a bit of both of the above ideas: make a barrier, but use bc or maybe even melted chocolate (or ganache) behind the gp leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%