Will Gumpaste Stay Hard If I Lay On Wet Strawberries

Decorating By madras650 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 7:05am by ceshell

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 5

Sounds kinda dirty icon_redface.gif

I am making the Ohio State "O" out of strawberries, can I lay the buckeye leaves made out of gum paste on top of the berries without the gum paste turning soft and disintegrating?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

Why don't you just pipe them out of buttercream? Buttercream piped leaves are easier to me thatn the ordeal of gum paste.

I mean the strawberries have a brief shelf life I guess the gum paste leaves wouldn't have a chance to melt by then.

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Why don't you just pipe them out of buttercream? Buttercream piped leaves are easier to me than the ordeal of gum paste.

I mean the strawberries have a brief shelf life I guess the gum paste leaves wouldn't have a chance to melt by then.

Great Idea, but I am "buttercream challenged", I may have to go with that idea. I was hoping to get a clean crisp leaf. See pic attached

The gum paste would probably be on the strawberries for less than 12 hours.

any more suggestions?
LL

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

Cut a piece of parchment paper exactly the size and shape of the leaf. Attach to the leaf with a bit of royal icing. That will create a moisture barrier between the gumpaste and the strawberries.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 7:05am
post #5 of 5

You can also do a bit of both of the above ideas: make a barrier, but use bc or maybe even melted chocolate (or ganache) behind the gp leaves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%