I Ambored Of Buttercream Filling...how Can I Flavor It.

Baking By mom2my3girlz Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 1:35am by tracey1970

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 5

I am new and I always use buttercream for fillings. I add choco to make chocolate filling but I have no idea how to make other flavors. Can someone tell me how to make more flavors? Easy recipes please. Thanks

4 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

You can add any number of things to buttercream to flavor it. I use flavored creamer powders mixed in very hot water as my liquid when making buttercream (see Sugarshack's buttercream recipe). You can also add things like peanut butter and flavored oils (I use pineapple a lot - yummy in buttercream, also lemon). I'm sure there are lots of other things. I have run fresh strawberries through my blender and added that (very yummy). Some people even reduce soda and use the syrup to flavor buttercream. On the show "Amazing Wedding Cakes" they did that with beer once (don't understand that one!). Just use your imagination. It's kind of intimidating at first but you just have to experiment. Also, look in the recipe section here on CC - there are tons of recipes for buttercream.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry - I was thinking icing instead of fillings. Fillings actually are more fun. I'm still fairly new but the things I have tried so far: lemon curd (my favorite), pineapple chiffon (super easy), strawberry buttercream, the ready made cheesecake filling that comes in a tub (that was a big hit), peanut butter buttercream. You can also use canned pie fillings. There are tons of recipes for fillings in the recipe section as well just go there and have fun!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #4 of 5

To keep it simple, I add peanut butter, amaretto, fruit, jams...all good.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 5

All of the above - and some people use those Lorann oils to flavour BC with mint, etc. Those oils are for candy making, but they come in tons of flavours and work very well in BC. Take care, though, a little goes a long way.

I flavour my BC by using as my liquid (as per Sugarshack) HOT liquid coffee creamer. Where the flavours come in is that you can buy those liquid creamers in many flavours - vanilla, Irish Cream, butter pecan, mocha, this list goes on - the only thing is that some of them are off white in colour, so if you are wanting a truly white BC, you should use one of the whiter ones or use Wilton White-White colouring to whiten the BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%