Learning To Make Gumpaste Flowers - Please Help!

Decorating By crazydoglady Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm by Teekakes

crazydoglady Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 12

i'm very new to this and learning thru youtube and cc.

i'd really appreciate advice on learning to make daisies and roses

freeform, cutter or mold?
cutters - petal shape or full flower?
gum paste or modeling/pearl clay?

what is the best method for someone who is starting out?

11 replies
Bonnell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 12

There is a great video on Youtube from Glenda Galvez on making daisies. With those you definitely need a cutter. I've only made them using gumpaste (actually I use fondant with a little Tylose mixed in - very easy to work with). There is also a great series by Tonedna on making roses - that one is a must to watch. She uses a round cutter but there are also some on there by people that do roses the free form method. You really just have to practice and see what works for you. Modeling chocolate is a medium that is more forgiving than gumpaste so you might want to try your roses with that first. When I first started making roses I used the rose cutter from Wilton (you have to snip between the petals to separate them a little more) and that was okay. I then purchased a set of rose cutters and I like those better. At this point I am making them petal-by-petal as Tonedna demonstrates in her video but I use the tear drip shaped cutters. Practice, practice, practice. I can't stress that enough. Good luck.

Teekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 12

Wilton makes a kit for making a variety of gumpaste flowers for 19.99 and I think it is great for learning to make a large variety of gumpaste flowers without investing a lot of $$$ in the more expensive cutters and impression molds for veining and leaves. It comes with a book showing the flowers and very easy to understand directions. Once you have made the flowers from this kit you will know a lot more about what you are doing and what direction you want to go in..........this is when you can better decide which of the more expensive cutters, etc...you want to purchase.
Also, this kit makes gorgeous professional looking flowers! thumbs_up.gif

crazydoglady Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 12

the glenda galvez video was very helpful!

i'm struggling with gumpaste. i made a batch using the nic lodge recipe but it was very rubbery.
i'm now trying to use wiltons but its a bit dry.

when you mix fondant with tylose - how much tylose do you use and is your fondant premade or from scratch?

thanks so much for your help!

crazydoglady Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 12

i had debated about getting the wilton starter kit - i'll go ahead with it now.
thanks so much.

Bonnell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 12

Yeah, I tried the Wilton gumpaste and was less than impressed with it. It dries entirely too quickly. I've never tried the Nicholas Lodge recipe even though I have it but people usually rave about that recipe. Currently I am using Satin Ice fondant (convenience purposes only). I believe the ratio of Tylose to fondant is 1 tsp. Tylose to a pound of fondant but to be honest I don't measure - I just get some on the end of my palette knife and add it in. You can kind of estimate based on the formula (at least that's what I do and so far it's worked okay). I never got the Wilton kit because I took all the Wilton classes and so much of what was in that kit was duplicates of what I had from my class kits but that kit would be a great starting place because it has most of the basic flowering making equipment in it. Go forth and create (and have fun).

Teekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 12

I think you will be glad you did get it once you start using it. I still use mine and always will, it is a great little flower kit! icon_smile.gif

About Nic's gumpaste......that is all I make and use. It does feel rubbery, this is normal. The main thing is when you pinch it between your thumb and forefinger it does not stick to you. Once you have kneaded enough ps into to get it to this point, be sure and wrap it per directions and let cure.
GP is a persnickity thing at times.......On high humidity days I have to add a little cornstarch or ps to stiffen it up. On low humidity days I may have to add a smidgen of solid vegetable shortening to soften it up a bit.
Be sure and work in small amounts of gp at a time. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way in flower making because we have to roll it out so thin.

The Wilton gp is very "firm' in the package and should take a good hard squeeze to indent it while packaged. What you don't want to feel through the packaging is "hardened" areas that are not squeezable.
It takes a few minutes of kneading to soften it up. I have always lightly greased my hands with when working with Wilton gp right out of the package.
Speaking of greased hands......when you are ready to color fondant or gp, if you will lightly grease your hands the color will not dye your skin.

Let us know how you come along with your gp and fondant work. Have fun and we are here when you need help! icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 12

I love Nic's gumpaste but I have had a couple of batches were my flowers were extremely fragile, much more so than Wilton gumpaste. I follow the recipe exactly every time when working it, I add cornstarch or shortening as needed. Any ideas on why they would be so fragile?

icer101 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 12

with any gumpaste.. nicks recipe.. wilton .satin ice.etc. you alway use little shortening on your hands. you always see nick do this and he kneads it into his gumpaste as he uses it. i love nicks recipe. i love wilton premade.. not in the can.. satin ice gumpaste is too soft for me.. try different ones and see which is best for you.. and yes, the wilton gumpaste set is a great starter.. there are other name brands that people are crazy about and they are plastic too. you have to know how to use any of them.. and that is pressing hard. with a little twisting motion...yes, even with the expensive metal cutters. i have them all.. and you use them the same.. hth

Teekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 12

Tracycakes.....no, I don't know what could make them more fragile, except, the thinness the gp was rolled to make that particular flower. The flowers that were more fragile for you, maybe the gp was rolled very very thin for these? I know the thinner it is rolled the more fragile the finished piece will be. Other than that I don't know anything that would cause a piece to be more fragile than another. icon_smile.gif

crazydoglady Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 12

thanks to everyone!

i'm so glad that i found this inspirational and information-packed forum. you all create such amazing things!

i bought the wilton kit. when i'm not pressed for time, i'm going to take a deep breath, gather my patience and accept that i'm not going to have success until i practice (alot).

i love cake, color and playing with food so i think i'll really enjoy this!

Teekakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 12
Originally Posted by crazydoglady

i'm going to take a deep breath, gather my patience and accept that i'm not going to have success until i practice (alot).

i love cake, color and playing with food so i think i'll really enjoy this!

icon_lol.gif You sound like me! I have to work hard at not letting a piece of gp or fondant get me down at times! It's ok though, practice really is the key to learning the are of making sugar flowers. It is worth the practice!
I am very glad you chose to get the Wilton Kit! You will surprise yourself I am sure! icon_biggrin.gif

Keep us informed of your progress, trials and errors.........there are going to be bumps in the road......you just have to jump them is all! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%