Need A Wedding Cake-100.00

Decorating By Wesha Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm by christinapp

Wesha Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 14

Hi guys,

Check this out. I found this on CL this morning. I just laughed and had to share with my CC family so you can get a laugh in to start off your Monday. Have a productive week.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/for/1339269883.html

Benisha

13 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 14

Well, I don't think that's so bad. She sounds genuinely sincere in her request and doesn't sound like someone trying to get something for nothing. I've seen some crazy ones for sure. Walmart is probably more than that though...maybe less?

christinapp Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 14

Not intending to stray off topic, but this reminds me of times past.
When I was growing up in the west Indies, my mum was the only cake baker I knew of in our community. When things were tight and people need her to bake cakes that they could not pay for, she would go to thier homes to bake and decorate the cake.
They were responsible for getting all the ingredients and supplies. All she did was give them a shopping list , and show up at thier houses. She would bake one day, and return the next day to decorate.
She got paid for her time, and they did the cleaning up afterwards.
I am not sure how that saved the customer money but it seemed to work out fine for them back then.

Serves as an education for those who think cake making is simply mixing flour, eggs sugar and butter.

Clovers Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 14

..I just agreed to do a favour for my sister (who is paying for her sister in law's wedding cake as a wedding gift). For 100 bucks she's getting a 10"-"8"-6", white fondant, red gumpaste roses and black scroll work (assuming I pull this talent out of....nowhere). Clearly I'm an idiot, but she's on a budget.

mommyle Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 14

I like her honesty. And like she said, she's not trying to insult anyone. I think that if I lived in the area I would contact to see if there was a way we could "barter" for services.

luvbugcreations Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 14

Hi
I would just like to say that if I lived in her area I would contact her and arrange to do a very basic but elegant cake for her. Something that would not take up much time outside of baking If I could do It in 6 hours total I certainly would help her. With a new homebased business Legal of course I would look at it as getting my name out there. I would however have her sign a contract that would state that she was not to tell anyone the cost as I wouldn't want it to become habit.

Just thought I would share my thought process

Kerri
Luvbug Creations

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 14

I made my friend's wedding cake for $100. It cost me that much for all the supplies and ingredients. My friend has a little girl and she married a man with 4 kids, kind of a Brady bunch marriage and while they probably could have afforded to pay more for the cake, it made me feel good to do it for her.

kellyanne1981 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinapp

Not intending to stray off topic, but this reminds me of times past.
When I was growing up in the west Indies, my mum was the only cake baker I knew of in our community. When things were tight and people need her to bake cakes that they could not pay for, she would go to thier homes to bake and decorate the cake.
They were responsible for getting all the ingredients and supplies. All she did was give them a shopping list , and show up at thier houses. She would bake one day, and return the next day to decorate.
She got paid for her time, and they did the cleaning up afterwards.
I am not sure how that saved the customer money but it seemed to work out fine for them back then.

Serves as an education for those who think cake making is simply mixing flour, eggs sugar and butter.





i love this idea!!!! thumbs_up.gif especially the leaving the mess for them to clean up!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

BaBa Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 14

I would also be happy to do the cake for her, just did a 3 tier and a shet cake for a youn couple 2 weeks ago for $100.00 because that was all they could afford. Would like to think that someone would help me if I needed it but not very likely in todays society.

whisperingmadcow Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 14

You know, I once responded to an add on craigslist from a lady who wanted to find someone to make her a cake for a wedding "on a budget" Turns out she was a fellow caker just trying to find out what other people changed for their cakes. I think I quoted her something like $2.50 a serving and she turned around and posted an add stating she would make cakes for $2.25 a serving. You just never know.

varika Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 14

Hey, I think she's aiming for the right crowd, talking about a culinary student doing it for her perhaps. Student work is usually cheaper than professional work. Of course, you takes yer chances doing it that way--anybody here had a haircut from the local beauty college? I get mine done by my friend who is an apprentice beautician, and she does lovely work, but it does take her FOREVER to do.

xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Well, I don't think that's so bad. She sounds genuinely sincere in her request and doesn't sound like someone trying to get something for nothing. I've seen some crazy ones for sure. Walmart is probably more than that though...maybe less?




It sounds genuine to me too, especially the part where she says she doesn't want to insult a cake artist with her $$ constraints.


And, I think this would be an awesome way to help out, no cleaning up afterwards sounds like heaven (don't know how well it would work now though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinapp

Not intending to stray off topic, but this reminds me of times past.
When I was growing up in the west Indies, my mum was the only cake baker I knew of in our community. When things were tight and people need her to bake cakes that they could not pay for, she would go to thier homes to bake and decorate the cake.
They were responsible for getting all the ingredients and supplies. All she did was give them a shopping list , and show up at thier houses. She would bake one day, and return the next day to decorate.
She got paid for her time, and they did the cleaning up afterwards.
I am not sure how that saved the customer money but it seemed to work out fine for them back then.

Serves as an education for those who think cake making is simply mixing flour, eggs sugar and butter.


cdavis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 14

Seek and ye shall find. You don't know if you don't ask. I have done lots of cakes for free. The last donated cake was for a young girl whose father was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She moved her wedding up because of his illness - just to be sure he was there- and consequently did not have time to budget for her wedding to be like she really wanted it to be.
I donated the cake, made it bigger and better than she asked for. I like to call it cake karma or my sugar ministry. God gave me a talent, I pass it on from there.

christinapp Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Seek and ye shall find. You don't know if you don't ask. I have done lots of cakes for free. The last donated cake was for a young girl whose father was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She moved her wedding up because of his illness - just to be sure he was there- and consequently did not have time to budget for her wedding to be like she really wanted it to be.
I donated the cake, made it bigger and better than she asked for. I like to call it cake karma or my sugar ministry. God gave me a talent, I pass it on from there.





I love this. You are so right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%