Business By -Tubbs Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 7:45am by xstitcher

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:13am
post #1 of 10

Full email correspondence with prospective client 'D':

D: how much do you do wedding cakes

Me: (thinking icon_confused.gif )
Hi D,

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Please feel free to call me and we can discuss what you are looking for.

Best regards,

D: i mean how much do you bake your cakes for?

Me: Hi Dee,

The price depends on the size of the cake (ie the number of people to be served), as cakes are priced by the serving. My cakes start at $2.75 per serving. For example, an 8" cake serves 24 people, so my base price for a buttercream cake of this size would be $66 + GST. Fondant cakes start at $3.50 per serving.

It would be helpful to know what you are looking for and how many people you need to serve, then I would be able to give you a better idea of cost.

Best regards

D: im looking for a cake for about 250 people it doesnt have to be just one cake its for a wedding

Me: (starting to get really tapedshut.gif , but would really like an order for a 250 serving cake so trying to remain patient...)
Hi D,

As a general starting guide, a buttercream cake for 250 would be $2.75 x 250 = $687 + GST, and a fondant cake would be $3.50 x 250 = $875.

This can be in one really big cake, or in smaller satellite cakes. It really depends on the size, shape and style the client requests. Do you have any pictures you like?

D: no i was hoping maybe you got some pictures

Me:
(Gives up polite salutations)
Yes, I have many pictures you can look at. Would you like to schedule a consultation?

D: does not respond.

Me: Bangs head on desk and loses will to live...

9 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:22am
post #2 of 10

gah.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #3 of 10

icon_lol.gif Well, ya know ya saw it comen'. But I do have to thank you for the lesson I also recieve from it. icon_wink.gif

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:05am
post #4 of 10

I'm sorry this happened - how frustrating people can be sometimes. Can I ask a really stupid question? What is GST?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:11am
post #5 of 10

Im sure the "D" abbreviation is for DUMBA$$!!!!!!

I must say I would have given up after the 2nd reply icon_smile.gif

Bec005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bec005 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:30am
post #6 of 10

GST is goods and services tax.
We have it in australia too, ours is 10% usually included in the cost of the item you are buying unless otherwise stated.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:32am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec005

GST is goods and services tax.
We have it in australia too, ours is 10% usually included in the cost of the item you are buying unless otherwise stated.

Thank you

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 6:37am
post #8 of 10

Is GST a tax? icon_confused.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:08am
post #9 of 10

:bangs head on table: hahahaha

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 7:45am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Is GST a tax? icon_confused.gif

Yes it is. It's all across Canada. Each province has PST (provincial sales tax, which is different for each province) plus GST (which is the same across the board). Alberta does not have any PST though and GST is exempt on some things.

I'm sure you didn't need that much though did you but once I started I couldn't seem to stop icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%