'stiffer' Mmf?? Help!!

Decorating By lltwins Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:05am by Texas_Rose

lltwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lltwins Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 5

I need help getting my MMF stiffer, to make things out of it. It seems if it's dry it's cracking, and just dry. If I add crisco to it, it just gets so soft. Also when I roll it into a ball it seems to get wrinkles in it or cracks. it wont roll smooth. HELP

4 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 5

you could try using half gumpaste and half mmf
also maybe you are not kneading it enough

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #3 of 5

When you roll it into a ball and it as cracks in it chances are high that you will still have them when you roll it out. You have to have a smooth ball to start with. You want to roll the fondant into a ball in between the palms of your hands (warmest area) slight cup your hands. Don't do it on your fingers.

To make your fondant stiffer to make figures/flowers etc you can add tylose powder or if you cannot get that then you could use gumtex (made by Wilton and available at most craft stores that carry Wilton supplies). I personally like tylose powder plus it is white so my paste is always very white. The other thing you can do is make a 50/50 mix of fondant/gp as Madge suggested.

Here's a link for how to make modeling sugar by aine2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQtehRE7VQw&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1vtYY-wFQ&feature=channel_page

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 5

Try popping it into the fridge for ten minutes. It always works for me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #5 of 5

If you're using the really simple MMF recipe: 2lbs ps, 1lb mm, 2 tbsp water, you might need to add a bit more water. I always add 1/4 cup water instead and end up with the perfect consistency.

xstitcher is right about the tylose. The other good thing about tylose is that it doesn't stink the way gum-tex does. With either one, just knead it into the fondant until it stiffens up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%