Help!! Question About Glycerine..

Decorating By my_4_dumplins Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 5:36am by my_4_dumplins

my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #1 of 6

I really need to know if the glycerine you find in the pharmacy at Wal-Mart is the same as the glycerine you get from cake supply stores. The nearest place to me that carries glycerine specifically for cake decorating is 2 hours away. I thought I had some and it turns out I don't. I need it tomorrow so driving two hours is not an option for meicon_sad.gif The ingredient on the back of the bottle from wal mart says..Glycerine Anhydrous-99.5%. TIA

5 replies
mannjc Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 6

it has to say food grade on the will usually also say vegetable glycerine. I get mine at whole foods, i checked my wal-mart and pharmacy but theirs could not be ingested. If its for fondant and you need some in a pinch maybe you could try just mmf til you can get some glycerine. HTH icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

Maybe your local health food store (if you have one) might carry it? You might also want to check a wine store that brews there own or a place that sells brew your own beer. Do you have a craft store nearby that carries Wilton supplies? Maybe they carry the food grade glycerin there?

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:08am
post #4 of 6

They sell big bottles of it at the health food store.

Edible glycerine will say USP or food-grade somewhere on the bottle.

my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 6

The bottle I picked up from Wal mart says USP on it. Does that mean its food safe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%