Cakes For Diabetics

Baking By Lermol Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm by icer101

Lermol Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 12

Hello,

I was asked to make a cake for Diabetics. Could anybody please share some recipes of the cake that taste good? I will realy appreciate it. Thanks.

11 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:15am
post #2 of 12

no clue but I would love to know too....

Skirt Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:32am
post #3 of 12

Have you tried just substituting Splenda for sugar? They sell the big bags of it now. I haven't done so personally but my sister makes cookies for her diabetic mechanic that way...

icer101 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 12

there is one on sugarshacks... blog.. sharonssugarshack.com.... i made it couple of months ago.. sharons sister made this one for family affair.. i made it for a 50th anniversary for some of my clients guest. i never heard back from anyone.. on anything.. but again, i don,t know her personally... don,t torte the cake layers if you try this one.. i did. and it broke.. had to hold it together with tooth picks... which i told them several times. to watch out for.. i froze this cake as i built it up. it did really good. i used lite cool whip for the icing, etc.. some peices that broke off..i was able to taste ,etc. it tasted good to me.. again, not like your normal cakes. but that is to be expected.. also.. type on your home page.. died and gone to heaven chocolate cake.. i made that one several years ago. and the client said it was really good. again , i had a chance to taste some peices,etc. and it was good. i just won,t torte them again.. no matter which i make.. i got some recipes from the spenda site and different sites. just type in diabetic cake recipes.. hth

madgeowens Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 12

There is no such thing as cake for diabetic because its not only about "sugar"....the carbs in cake......are going to raise blood glucose........so even though you don't use "sugar" it will still affect blood sugar. hth

CakeDiosa Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:23am
post #6 of 12

I started a thread on this awhile ago and the overwhelming opinion was to not even bother. Like madgeowens said it's not just about sugar and I for one didn't want to be held responsible for providing a "diabetic" cake that really wasn't diabetic friendly since I lack the knowledge to even know what is or isn't. Do a search of the forum topics and you'll find several threads on here about this.

I tried a couple of "diabetic" recipes and they were all duds. Completely unusable. Do yourself a favor and don't even bother. Or have them bring you a "diabetic" cake you can decorate for them.

hth and good luck!

Melnick Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 9:43am
post #7 of 12

Maybe try looking in a diabetic cookbook? My BIL is a diabetic and my sister said to me the other day that no cake is a good cake for a diabetic. My Mum has made him some diabetic desserts from a cookbook but I don't know if any were cake.

Bunsen Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:12am
post #8 of 12

I just catered a baby shower where the Mum-to-be has gestational diabetes - not the easiest thing as we were having an afternoon tea... She can only eat 30g of carbs in one sitting. The only dessert I could come up with was profiteroles - choux pastry filled with whipped cream (no sugar, just a splash of vanilla) and topped with a dark chocolate ganache (equal quantities cream and chocolate. They came out at about 3-4g of carbs each. You could do a croquembouche style but you would need support inside as the ganache wouldn't be strong enough to hold the shape like the traditional caramel does.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:38am
post #9 of 12

Lermol,
While it is true that there can never really be a truely sugar free cake, you can make a reduced sugar cake that folks can enjoy. If your client is a diabetic then he/she knows or should know to limit their sugar intake. You cannot be responsible for how much people eat.

That being said here is what I personally do. After trying 2 different scratch recipes thumbsdown.gif , I started using the Sweet n Low cake mix. No, it doesn't taste like regular cake because it isn't. It is more dense and not as sweet. I called the company to find out if it were possible to doctor the mixes. I was assured it was more than possible. So I've added light pineapple juice, strawberry extract, sugar free pudding, and pineapple chunks. I've carved them, covered them fondant, left them with just the frosting. There is no limit to what you can do with it. I also have a frosting that I use that is also reduced sugar, pm me is you'd like it.

Here is where I buy my mixes..you can normally find them at the grocery store but out here in the boonies, we are not so lucky.
http://www.edietshop.com/onlinestore/items.asp?CurrentDepartmentNumber=1&DEPARTMENT_ID=104

Hopefully all this info helps you!
LL
LL
LL

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lermol

Hello,

I was asked to make a cake for Diabetics. Could anybody please share some recipes of the cake that taste good? I will realy appreciate it. Thanks.

Being a diabetic myself, I know there is no such thing as a "sugar free" cake, since all carbohydrates are basically sugars.....but most all diabetics can have sugar, just in restricted amounts.

If you scratch bake, there are some things you can do:

1. Sub whole wheat pastry flour for some [or all] of the flour in the recipe...this works really well with chocolate or spice, carrot, pumpkin, etc. cakes. The whole grain flour takes longer to digest, so it doesn't spike blood sugar so much.

2. Sub the Splenda for baking for most of the sugar....but be sure you use some sugar....it is needed to help brown the cake.

3. For many diabetics, it is not so much the cake as it is the frosting. You can make a decent frosting by combining 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup Splenda for baking, then folding in a tub of sugar free Cool Whip and some vanilla. Store the iced cake in the refrigerator of course!

Hope this helps some. The real trick is simply learning portion control and not exceeding your carb allowances.

Lermol Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 12

Thnak you very much for replying to my post. Yes, I would like to get info on the frosting you use for this type of cakes.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Lermol,
While it is true that there can never really be a truely sugar free cake, you can make a reduced sugar cake that folks can enjoy. If your client is a diabetic then he/she knows or should know to limit their sugar intake. You cannot be responsible for how much people eat.

That being said here is what I personally do. After trying 2 different scratch recipes thumbsdown.gif , I started using the Sweet n Low cake mix. No, it doesn't taste like regular cake because it isn't. It is more dense and not as sweet. I called the company to find out if it were possible to doctor the mixes. I was assured it was more than possible. So I've added light pineapple juice, strawberry extract, sugar free pudding, and pineapple chunks. I've carved them, covered them fondant, left them with just the frosting. There is no limit to what you can do with it. I also have a frosting that I use that is also reduced sugar, pm me is you'd like it.

Here is where I buy my mixes..you can normally find them at the grocery store but out here in the boonies, we are not so lucky.
http://www.edietshop.com/onlinestore/items.asp?CurrentDepartmentNumber=1&DEPARTMENT_ID=104

Hopefully all this info helps you!

icer101 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 12

again... p/m sugarshack or go to her blog... it can,t take but so much of your time to do this.. she can help you out..hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%