Another Good Ol' Imbc Question....

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 9:28am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 16

Sure it's on here and believe me i'v look (also on google!) and i can't find an answer. I am going to pipe IMBC on cupcakes and was wondering can i store the cupcakes on the bench in a container and not refrigereate them or do i have to put them in the fridge and then let them sit to room temp before eating when i want to eat them? Also how long after i make it can i leave it out on the day made?

I know ppl talk about egg whites and salmonella so jsut wanted to know ppl options

15 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 16

The egg whites are cooked by the addition of the hot syrup, so salmonella (if it's in the egg whites) is killed and the icing is safe!

You can leave the cup cakes out on the counter, but they will stay fresh longer if stored in the fridge.

Elise87 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:46am
post #3 of 16

thank-u! And oops i mean out but in a container not just out just to sit and get dry icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:05am
post #4 of 16

There is actually some debate about whether or not the hot syrup truly cooks the egg whites to a safe temp - some believe they do, some believe they don't. I don't take any chances; I use pasteurized (liquid) egg whites. If you cannot find a brand that will whip into a meringue, then powdered whites work well too, or you could try SMBC which involves specifically cooking the ew to safe temp.

Or you can just wing it and hope for the best!

I see similarly differing info on refrigeration: some say it's ok on the counter for a few days but others consider it a perishable filling. I always refrigerate for storage (meaning, on a cake made in advance) but then if it sits out at a party for 5...6...8 hours I don't worry about it. I do tell people to refrigerate the leftovers though. It only needs about 1/2 hr to 1 hr to come to room temp before eating.

Elise87 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:54am
post #5 of 16

oops forgot to say thanks ceshell, i decided to put it in the fridge just to be sure thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:09am
post #6 of 16

Awesome! Hope they came out delicious! icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #7 of 16

Question: The IMBC tasted like smooth buttery cream, is it suppose it taste that buttery?

ceshell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:39am
post #8 of 16

If it tastes too buttery, you might need to add more vanilla. My recipe calls for 2-3 tsp and at 2 tsp it tastes like butter. At 3t it tastes creamy and yummy. But I actually use two TABLESPOONS for best flavor. The Very Vanilla SMBC (same result as IMBC, different cooking method) uses 1/4 CUP I think!

Still and yet, some people will till feel like it tastes too buttery. I am definitely not one of those people. icon_biggrin.gif

Another option if you decide you are not a fan of the buttery flavor, is to make it a different flavor -most specifically: chocolate. For a single 5-ew batch, you can pour in about 1/4c cooled melted chocolate (or ganache) - I prefer to use dark choc. Really satiny and yummy.

prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:22am
post #9 of 16

Did you use salted or unsalted butter? If you used salted butter, that would be the reason. But, IMBC does taste much more buttery than the ps/crisco stuff.

You can purchase whole eggs (still in the shell) that have been pasturized (I use these when making eggnog).

I use the meringue powder when making IMBC because I find it easier and more consistent.

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:32am
post #10 of 16

well i have always used an all butter buttercream and i always use unsalted butter but oddly i find that one less buttery than the IMBC lol I did only use about 1 1/4 tsp of vanilla but i still don't think adding more will fix it for me.

I think it might be a bit too buttery in the sense it is too creamy for me and my family, like butter flavoured whipped cream lol Ohhhh i so wanted to like it icon_cry.gif

It has a lovely consistency though

ceshell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:47am
post #11 of 16

I do admit, the butter flavoured whipped cream description isn't that far off, but as I mentioned: the addition of more vanilla might surprise you. 1 1/4t is not NEARLY enough and I guarantee you I NEVER liked it when I'd only put that much in. I was like "Uh, this is just lightly whipped butter..." The extra vanilla creates a miraculous transformation, but you need a nice big heap in there. Yes it will still be buttery and whipped creamy but for me, it stops "tasting like butter" per se. If you have any left and can wait for it to come to room temp (so you can gently rebeat it) do give it a whack - put another 2tsp in there at LEAST - better still just chuck in 2 TBSP (adjust for how much icing you actually still have in the bowl) and see what you think!

And like I said, if that still isn't working for you, throw in some melted chocolate and you may find yourself finally liking it - so you don't have to throw out all of those precious ingredients icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:55am
post #12 of 16

Ok well i might try it again and see with the extra vanilla but what would happen if i put slightly less butter in though? Would it just be alot softer and would it still be able to be used?

prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:14am
post #13 of 16

Elise, I see you're in Australia, so I'm not sure if you have veg. shortening available there, but try subbing that for 1/4 of the butter in the recipe. I know that seems wierd, but I've found that it helps stabilize the IMBC and it doesn't leave the greasy mouth-feel in IMBC the way it does in the ps based icing. That would cut down on some of the super butteryness taste without compromising the structure.

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:18am
post #14 of 16

i don't like to use shortening so i might just make it with more vanilla and see and leave it at that instead of making it more complicated lol

Thanks heaps for your help guys icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:24am
post #15 of 16

Yeah, I don't like using it, either, but it's so dad burn hot and humid here that the icing just too soft to do anything with without the magic of Crisco.

Elise87 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:28am
post #16 of 16

ya know what i had never even heard of shortening before i came to this website lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%