Shortening

Decorating By crumbcake Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 12:33am by aundrea

crumbcake Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 10

What is hi-ratio shortening, why use it, and where do you get it. I hear several people refer to it.

9 replies
Deb_ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 10

Hi-ratio shortening is also known as "icing shortening" because it is made specifically for icings.

I use it when the whether is hot and humid here because it is much more stable then using an all butter buttercream or even a buttercream made with Crisco or regular shortening. I usually use my regular recipe which is an all butter recipe except I sub out half of the butter with hi-ratio shortening.

One place you can buy it on line is...
http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=266

I think it's definitely worth trying, especially if you live in a hot/humid area.

aundrea Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:19am
post #3 of 10

i am curious has you or anyone tried the shortening sold at whole foods. i notice they sell veg. shortening and was wondering if it was better than crisco. i still want to try the hi-ratio shortening. just wish i could find it where i didnt have to order it online.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:49am
post #4 of 10

Crisco is a veggie shortening, all shortenings are. Ecxept lard. All lards are animal fats.

BREN28 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 10

aundrea, the walmart all veg shortening has more trans fats in it (crisco does not have any) which works better for crusting. if you dont have a walmart there,just look at the different brands that they do sell,and look at back label to see which one has the more trans fats. if you get a chance to try the high ratio,it works so much better than reg. shortening,especially if you live in hot humid place!

aundrea Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 10

so the key is get the highest trans fat available? luckily i do have a walmart near me and i will check it out today!
thanks

tab_stout Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 10

The other day. I was standing in the shortening isle pondering whether to get the cheaper Walmart brand our by the expensive Crisco. (I went with the Wal-Mart bran) Good to know it was actually the better decision. Thanks

Mike1394 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 10

Hi-ratio shortening is called that because it has more emulsifiers, and can accept more liquid than non HR shortening.

Mike

Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #9 of 10

No, not all shortening are vegetable. There are those shortening from animal fats and I am not speaking about lard.

aundrea Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #10 of 10

i got the walmart brand of shortening. it says 2g of transfat. good price better than crisco. then i happen to be at price chopper and their store brand says 3g of transfat. but it was 3x the price of walmart. im trying it this weekend so i cant wait to see the difference!
thanks for the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%