Creating A Realistic Xmas Ornament Cupcake In Paper Liner

Baking By QueenofTartsCakes Updated 29 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm by Ladiesofthehouse

QueenofTartsCakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

I love making cupcakes and would like to get a headstart practicing how to make cupcakes that look like real Xmas ornaments...they need to be just as round and domed as a real round glass ornament. I plan on using luster dust on probably royal icing or fondant on top of the dome, but how do I get a real round dome effect sticking halfway out of the top of the paper liner so that it has the shape of a real glass ball? Is there a ball mini cake pan I should bake in and then stack it on top of my cupcake after leveling it, or??? I'm making standard size cupcakes. I attached a pic on here of what I would like to achieve. Thanks.
LL

9 replies
missymayflower Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #2 of 10

I don't have an answer for you, but I would love to know as well.

Parable Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 10

{quote: Is there a ball mini cake pan I should bake in and then stack it on top of my cupcake after leveling it?}

You hit the nail right on the head. This is exactly how you get the perfectly round tops. Wilton makes the pan called mini 1/2 ball pan. HTH

sjholderman Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 10

The only thing I can think of is making a standard cupcake and making the "dome" with buttercream. Hopefully someone else will have a more enlightened answer for you!

ddaigle Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 10

I have done these. They are in my gallery with instructions. Let me know if you need more information.

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 10

Yes, you use the Wilton half ball, 6 cavity pan. It makes half rounds that are just right to sit on top of a regular sized cupcake.

I make my cupcakes in metallic liners, as they seem to hold the weight of the half ball better than the thinner paper liners.

If you offset the "hanger" hardware on the half round, it also adds to the illusion of the whole thing being round. I also make chocolate or gum paste "hooks" to add to them.

I get several orders for these each year and I get a lot of enjoyment decorating them in different ways.

Have fun!
Rae

QueenofTartsCakes Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 6:23am
post #8 of 10

Thank you! I saw the Wilton mini ball cupcake muffin pan today. I am going to buy it and make these!

cylstrial Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 10

Love this thread!! Thanks everyone!

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 10

So it looks like some people bake the tops as regular cake in the mini half ball pans and others fill the upside down fondant with cake ball batter for the top?

I have a huge Artisan Market I will be selling at in December and these would be perfect for my table if I can get them figured out.

Realistically, what would you all charge for these?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%