Question About Pourable Fondant

Decorating By Darthburn Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 3:46am by Darthburn

Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I'd like to try making a cake with the dripping fondant like this cake, is that pourable fondant? Is that the same you'd make for like coating sugar cookies or a different recipe? or just like a royal icing?

And then finally.... how do you get such awesomely perfect drips?? I looks like it was poured on hot and cooled so fast they didn't have time to go all the way down. I figured you would just have to pour slowly and let it coat the cake, then spill over... but how do you get it to dry in time to not hit the bottom?

Would like to incorporate this look with my first topsy turvey cake if anyone knows how... I think it might give it a neat look.


6 replies
Uniqueask Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 7

I don't have an answer, but I am watching this topic with you

tirechic Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #3 of 7

Well, it would depend on what colors you are wanting to use. You can use a chocolate ganache, or poured fondant. If using the fondant, use what you would use for cookies or petifours. If ganache, just make it a little thicker, but still pourable. Chill your cake, it will harden faster in either case. Hth.

xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 7

My guess is that it's ganache as well. Here's a link from youtube showing how to drizzle chocolate. You could probably do the same but maybe make it a bit thicker (plus this cake is only about 2" tall you'd have a little more room if you use the standard 4")?

Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #5 of 7

Thank you for the replies so far

I guess you're right about what color... because using ganache is going to be brown correct? I was wanting to use some brighter yellows or oranges.
What about white chocolate ganache? Ever been done and colored?

Lol am I getting in over my head?

xstitcher Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 7

Yes you can make white chocolate ganache and coloulkiu870u9pol it if you want or maybe you could buy some precoloured candy discs. I know that Wilton makes them in many colours and they carry it in the local craft stores that carry Wilton products.

The other thing is that you might want to get either food colouring made specifically for chocolate (candy colour) or you can get powdered colouring or add flo coat and then just use your regular colouring. I know I've red that some folks had have success with using reg food colouring (water based) but normally that would seize your chocolate.

Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #7 of 7

what about that cold spray stuff chocolate workers use to fuze stuff together? I have NO idea what that is called... but would you be able to use that to freeze it in place as it drips? That would be cool... where can I get some of that stuff??? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%