Need A Laugh???

Decorating By TheBlonde Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 10:57am by playingwithsugar

TheBlonde Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 12

Check out the DISASTER that happened today (in my pics). Good thing I was just playing around. First attempt at Petit Fours and it was a STICKY mess. Definitely learned some lessons for the next time. Saved a ton of non-fondant covered cakes though and they are SOOOOO yummy. White cake with strawberry flavored butter cream frosting in the middle. Just had 3 actually icon_smile.gif yum yum yum

11 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 12

Good thing it was just a practice icon_biggrin.gif

Usually the fondant that people cover petit fours with isn't melted MMF, it's poured fondant which is a different recipe.

Next time, try freezing the cake cubes and then covering them with rolled MMF, if you're wanting to use MMF. They're pretty easy to cover when they're frozen.

PennySue Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 12

Been there, done that! I still have a hard time with those darn little cakes. I haven't tried covering them with just plain fondant, maybe next time. Pouring icing over them never seems to work for me. I feel your pain!

indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 12

Yay! Someone who had petit fours that looked as pitiful as mine! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm with ya, sista!! I even used a CC recipe for "petit four icing" and it wouldn't flow and cover the sides right. THat's the part that drove me nuts ... the tops looked great ... like yours do .... but I just couldn't get the sides to coat.

I ended up giving up on the icing and just dipped them all in melted white chocolate. The good news is, as bad as they looked, the client LUV'D them and warned me that all of her friends would be calling me to order some. ( icon_surprised.gif aaaauuugggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!)

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 7:45am
post #5 of 12

I was shown how to make petit fours with melted chocolate in molds.

The demonstrator poured some melted choc into the mold and brushed it up the sides. Into the fridge for a bit. Repeat. On 2nd time out of the fridge, add the piece of cake nice and snug, add more choc, tap to make sure it's all coated and level, back into the fridge. Pop out when cold, add a little swirl of BC on top ... MMMMM.

I even bought a couple of molds from her, but haven't used them yet.

sadsmile Posted 29 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 12

Now that is brilliant and something I would want to try!

messy_chef Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:25am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

I was shown how to make petit fours with melted chocolate in molds.

The demonstrator poured some melted choc into the mold and brushed it up the sides. Into the fridge for a bit. Repeat. On 2nd time out of the fridge, add the piece of cake nice and snug, add more choc, tap to make sure it's all coated and level, back into the fridge. Pop out when cold, add a little swirl of BC on top ... MMMMM.

I even bought a couple of molds from her, but haven't used them yet.

What kind of molds are these?

varika Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 5:45am
post #8 of 12

I found today that Toba Garrett's Glace icing, which I've used for cookies, works quite well on petite fours. If you have the patience to put about three coats on it and then NOT TOUCH for hours on end, which I didn't, but hey.

JanH Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 6:06am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy_chef

What kind of molds are these?

Kathy Scott's petit four molds:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-353973-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-136991-.html
(Photos of petit fours made using Kathy Scott's molds.)

Making petit fours (the old fashioned way):
(Has recipes, how-to's and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-573771-.html

HTH

messy_chef Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks so much, Jan! You are magic.

cakemaker30 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:25am
post #11 of 12

Customer: Do you make petit fours?
Me: He%$ NO!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I hate those things. I tried them once and they ended up looking like little sticky deformed cake blobs. They tasted delicious though icon_lol.gif Luckily mine were just practice. I haven't tried them since then, but with that mold I might give it another shot.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:57am
post #12 of 12

Is this a TheBlonde joke? icon_lol.gif

Good Morning, All!

Don't struggle witht he fondant - enrobe them in white chocolate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%