Oprah's Chocolate Cake Recipe

Decorating By GrandmaG Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm by -K8memphis

GrandmaG Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 9

Has any one tried this recipe? It sounds wonderful. I was wondering if the filling had a strong espresso taste.

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:10am
post #2 of 9

I have never tried that recipe, but it sounds delish. I can tell you that the recipes on her website are more favorable to me than the ones on the Big M site (you know who I mean).

Dad's Coconut Custard Pie is out of this world, and my go-to recipe when called for.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 9

thumbs_up.gif Thanks! I'll give that a try too!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 9

The ingredients in that Oprah cake recipe are just a smidge off the measurements for the quintessential Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate" Cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's can--same basic method.

It's approximatley the Hershy's formula where each ingredient is cut by one quarter or one third give or take. The cocoa is not cut by a quarter exactly but close. But the ingredients read better cut thusly.

It's perfectly legal but perfectly interesting too huh.

I mean no recipe is completely without other recipes very very similar but this is just noteworthy to me. So close.

HerBoudoir Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 9

Regarding the espresso powder - 2 teaspoons will likely give it a smidge of a coffee taste.

I *always* add a little instant espresso powder to anything that I make with chocolate, because I think it intensifies the chocolate flavor. A teaspoon of espresso powder for the whole cake is enough to do this. If I want a more intense espresso flavor to come through with the chocolate for a mocha flavor, I'd up the amount to a tablespoon or more of espresso powder.

GrandmaG Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 9

The espresso powder goes in the buttercream filling.

GrandmaG Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 9

I made Sue B's chocolate cake today submitted by JanH. It was really good! I will be making that one more often!

diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:28am
post #8 of 9

wow...there's a lot of ingredients! icon_eek.gif i have to give this one a try.

i wonder who really came up with that recipe, cause oprah don't cook. icon_cool.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 9

The ingredients list is for the cake filling and icing. But the first bunch of ingredients for the cake is identical the Hershey's cake just the amounts are a little less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%