Fondant In Candy Molds

Decorating By msnrozier Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm by cairocats

msnrozier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msnrozier Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 11

have you ever use fondant in a candy mold? I tried to do it with a baby bottle mold and I could not get it out after a week of it sitting there! It was MMF so could that have been it?

Help if you ever did this!

Thank you

10 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 11

Try lightly greasing the mold first. Then, pop the filled mold into the freezer for about 5 minutes or so. Your fondant should come out easily.

Edited to add: The reason it never set up after a week is because the fondant inside the mold was not exposed to air, so it never dried out. As long as the fondant is soft and sticky, it won't come out of the mold unless you've greased (or cornstarched) it first.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 11

I have the Wilton fondant letter mold. Diane is right - you need to freeze it for a bit, and then try using a toothpick to slowly pry it out. Put it at a slight angle so you catch it.

The letter mold kit comes with a dull edged tool to do this, but a toothpick should work - just don't push it all the way thru or you'll puncture the front. Just catch it on the back, pull slowly at a slight angle, then use some Crisco to smooth over the hole if you need to.

Good luck!

msnrozier Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you, you two. I did NOT put anything in the mold! lol I will try this next time!!!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 11

Forgot to add: I don't think you need to coat the mold with anything if you're freezing it. I do both fondant and chocolate molding and have never need to do that. The chilling is what hardens it up. Plus cleaning grease out of the little nooks and crannies is a pain in the backside.

Good luck!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 11

The fondant also works better if you add some gumtex or tylose. It makes it a bit firmer and less sticky. You can also lightly dust the cavity with some cornstarch as well as the fondant just before you push it in. Putting the mold with the fondant in it also helps.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 11

I use Pam spray on the molds, and after the fondant is in, I use a little rolling pin over it, then run my finger around the edge of the mold to make a nice clean edge. The fondant comes right out, and as long as you've wiped the pam spray with a paper towel before you put the fondant in, the grease absorbs and doesn't look shiny. I didn't put it in the freezer.

I did the molded details on this cake with a candy mold and pam spray:

msnrozier Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I use Pam spray on the molds, and after the fondant is in, I use a little rolling pin over it, then run my finger around the edge of the mold to make a nice clean edge. The fondant comes right out, and as long as you've wiped the pam spray with a paper towel before you put the fondant in, the grease absorbs and doesn't look shiny. I didn't put it in the freezer.

I did the molded details on this cake with a candy mold and pam spray:

Thanks again!!!!

This cake is wonderful!

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 11

I didn't put anything in the candy mold before adding the fondant either. They pop right out after putting in the freezer for a little bit.

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #10 of 11

OMG, where were you guys a couple months ago when I was trying this! I couldn't get the fondant out of the candy molds & finally gave up - so glad I didn't throw them away. Can't wait to try the freezer thing!

cairocats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cairocats Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much. I just put fondant in a mold and was wondering how to get it out. I thought - check it out online and since I am a member this came up. You guys are a big help. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%