Icing- This May Sound Stupid But What Is For What?

Decorating By kellyanne1981 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm by kellyanne1981

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 10

I dont know if its because numerous tyeps of icing have more than one name, but i am getting really confused icon_rolleyes.gif
I know this is probably a stupid request, but can you please advise me on the different types of icing available and point out the different names of the same kind of thing! is sugarpaste the same a regal ice - im confoozled by it all

also what you would use the icing for i mean whats good for sculpting, covering etc etc

thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 10

sugarpaste and fondant are the same thing(i am in uk,i am assuming same in u.s ?)...good for covering cakes, you roll it out and it tastes kind of marshmallowy.

you can use the above for modeliing as long as you add some gum tragacanth to strengthen it. Gumpasste is best for modelling as dries harder and more supportive for gravity defying sculpting.

royal icing is confectioners sugar mixed with either fresh egg white or powdered egg white...can be used in its stiffest form to cover cakes, or "let down" with varying degrees of water to do other techniques such as run outs(think you u.s folk call in color-flow ?!)

hope this helps as a start, i am sure there are books you could buy to get you started. ask if any more questions and i will try to answer !

x

kellyanne1981 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 10

thanks and im a fellow brit hun!! this is why i am so confused on here as the u.s. have other terms must be brand names!! now its good you netioned the gum paste as i have had a night mare doung a 3d greyhound, with it having a long muzzle it kept breaking when it dried and i was using the rolled out fondant icing is i was getting frustrated!
I do have a few books that gives ideas to decorate but i need a very besic beginners guide to explain what does what as i am simply winging it up to now!!

where in the uk are you from?

thanks again for all your help!

kel xx

sugarsugargal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 10

i am in essex....soon to be moving to sussex !!!! i would recommend your library as a good starting point, ours has a great selection and you can try the books out or at least flick thru them before deciding to buy. Amazon is great for cake dec books
icon_smile.gif

sugarsugargal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 10

...yes some of the terms are brand names, like Satinice etc. . . again happy to answer any questions as i am fairly clued up(or i like to think so !)

kellyanne1981 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 10

k....so how long have you been baking? is it a hobby for you or do you do it pro?
i really am just starting out and im trying to work out what equipment is essesntial!?! what items do you find useful!?!

sugarsugargal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 10

this is me !
www.sugarsugarcreations.com

as for what equipment is useful...well i dont even have time to reply to that ! i find everything i have useful at times, i would recommend trying projects out that you feel confident doing and build your collection slowly as you go...you will kind of be able to gauge as you go what is gonna be handy...i wouldnt recommend necessarily outlaying loads of money all at once, get your feel for the craft and it will sort itself out !
my equipment collection is worth a small fortune but i dont feel it too much as its been done slowly. ebay good for supplies icon_smile.gif

kellyanne1981 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 10

omg wow your cakes are amazing! how long have you been doing it for? i am considering taking an evening class, it s solely a hobby for me at the moment as i find it a gr8 stress release after a harsh day at work. i am slowly picking bits n pieces up with every little project i take on!
i am still looking through your website!! well done!! honestly my jaw has dropped lol!

if you dont mind can i keep hold of ya name to ask you if i am stuck with anything?

kel icon_smile.gif

sugarsugargal Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 10

thanks Kel, thats so sweet of you, I am Fiona, and willing to help anytime icon_smile.gif

i have been decorating for around 2 yrs and am self taught...books and internet resources . . . .i am slightly obsessed !!!!!

kellyanne1981 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 10

wow thats amazing...I am becoming obsessed lol. i am making full blown iced cakes then just randomly handing them out so they are not completely wasted!
ill be amazed if i can ice / decorate as well as you in 2 years! i have spent many years baking so the cake side is easy for me, its the neatly decorating it that im trying to crack now!
so needless to say I will be in touch icon_lol.gif
thanks agan fiona icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%