Logos, Marketing And Custom Packaging..how Did You Do It?

Business By CakesGoneSweet Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm by IsaSW

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 15

I was hoping some of you could share how you went about creating a logo and all the of the other visual merchandising for your business.

All my ducks are in a row: business plan done, forms filled out (money paid to go along with said forms), looking for space etc... I already have a logo that I have used infomally but feel it doesn't look professional enough.

How did you do this?

14 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 15

There are people who do it professionally. I think they are graphic designers

CakesGoneSweet Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 15

I am sorry I didn't make my self clearer. I know about graphic designers and also know how much they can charge. I was hoping someone had ideas for a better option.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 15

You could use photo editing software to fix up your logo. I use paint shop pro and you can create some pretty good-looking graphics with it.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 15

Two words.............Vista Print..............they are awesome! Great quality for a great price and quick shipping!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin-Sweet

Two words.............Vista Print..............they are awesome! Great quality for a great price and quick shipping!

Gotta second this! icon_smile.gif Vista Print rocks. They are excellent quality at extremely affordable prices. I recently ordered a gorgeous, custom 3 ft X 6 ft banner from there for a festival and it was superb...and it cost me $17. I am not kidding, it was crazy.

They offer everything from business cards to magnets - I even designed one that reads 'Wedding Cake on board'. They offer 100 color postcards delivered for under $6.00 icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 15

If you're interested in a professional job for less, you might try going to a local school with a graphic arts program and seeing if you could hire a student. Most of them will work fairly cheap so they can have something in their resume when they graduate.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 15

They also have people on ebay. I know there is one right now that is only $20 for your custom designed logo. I think they are just trying to earn a few extra bucks on the side. and the feedback is almost perfect, like 99.8%

CakesGoneSweet Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! Exactly what I was looking for!

I had used Vista Print for business cards in the past for my "real" job but had not looked at their other products. I will definitely be looking into all of your suggestions in the coming week. Again thanks a bunch!! icon_smile.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:54am
post #10 of 15

There's also a site called Zazzle that you can have your designs put onto all kinds of things, or you can choose from lots of different designs that other people have created. Good luck icon_smile.gif

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #11 of 15

If you want more help with your logo, you may be able to find an affordable graphic designer on etsy.com. It's a great site that brings "hand made" artists and shop owners together.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 15

I got my logo made by a guy on ebay!

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #13 of 15

Logoworks... expensive though...but finally came up with an excellent product. I can refer you to a graphic designer who also did some work for me if you'd like. I dont know her ... did everything via email... but her work was good and prices were reasonable.

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:02am
post #14 of 15

Hi just a quick reply of something to watch out for really... I did my business cards through vista print, found a great template that worked well, price was really reasonable too but since I have started working on my website I have found a cake maker and decorator in my area with the same business cards and a matching website! Couldn't believe my luck, I had looked through all the cakers I knew of in my area when I was choosing my buiness name and had not come accross this website, so assume it must have been new, but still have had to change my cards and designs. Its just something to bear in mind as vista print is a huge company!

Anna icon_smile.gif

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #15 of 15

I am a graphic designer, but don't really have time for it. Well I do it's my 9-5 job, but because of that I don't freelance in that area.
I love baking and making flowers more, but in El Salvador where I am from I have like a dozen of friends, that would do the job for almost nothing, compare to what we pay here in the States.
If you want, I can contact you with them. I would be the contact person. And since I have a college degree in Graphic Design. I would supervise the job.

I got all my stuff printed at www.uprinting.com, They have very good prices and excellent quality.

Just send me a private message if you are interested, and tell me what you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%