Home-Based Business In Whitby, Ontario

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 4:56am by JanH

cakecitycakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

Does any have some info. on the regulations in Whitby, Ontario as it relates to being a cake decorator out of your own home? I've been researching and can't find anything very helpful, I know some regions require a separate kitchen but I'm just not sure for my region. As well if anyone knows the ins and outs of a home-based decorator selling to a restaurant. Any links to the relevant info. that would be so super helpful too. I plan on doing the certification that gives me a Food Handler certificate as a start.

Many thanks in advance,
Nicole

5 replies
antonia74 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried asking in the forums over on www.cakescanada.com ?

Mel of www.wildcakes.ca also runs excellent classes through her Cake Spotters Guild group that teaches the legalities of home-based businesses:

http://cakespotters.com/

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #3 of 6

Hi, Nicole! I'm in Hamilton, and also just starting out.

Each city / town will have its own regs, so you really need to log onto Whitby's site. www.town.whitby.on.ca Haven't looked at it, but found it for you.

I am also a member of the Cake Spotters Guild, the group Antonia mentioned. We meet the first Monday of each month, in Dundas. I know that would be a bit of a trip for you, though. Definitely check out their website, though. And they also have a blog now, for quick updates, info, etc.

Good luck and welcome to CC!

Antonia - I didn't know about CakesCanada. I'll have to check it out, too. Thanks.

Beth

cakecitycakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tips and I have not posted the question to cakescanada but I'll put it out there too.
So far on the town of whitby site it really wasn't too helpful, but, maybe I just need to be more patient and really sift (haha) through the site.
Thanks again!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:36am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecitycakes

Thanks for the tips and I have not posted the question to cakescanada but I'll put it out there too.
So far on the town of whitby site it really wasn't too helpful, but, maybe I just need to be more patient and really sift (haha) through the site.
Thanks again!

I had to go back to Hamilton's website about 3 times before I figured out what I wanted and where it was. Bureaucracy!

JanH Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 4:56am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%