Help With Speedboat Cake

Decorating By imartsy Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm by Darthburn

imartsy Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make a cake like this picture. I'm a little concerned because of all the really sharp lines - and the "suspended" part of the boat. Does anyone have any advice? I usually do buttercream with fondant accents - but I'm thinking something like this would have to have fondant to give it a clean look. What do you all think?
LL

13 replies
teachingmyself Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 14

I would suggest fondant but if you think you can get a good smooth finish with buttercream, go for it!

imartsy Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 14

I have no idea if I could do it with buttercream...... any other tips?

this-mama-rocks Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 14

I did a speedboat/deep sea fishing boat recently. Fondant is the only way I could do it. Here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1389008

HTH

andiesweet Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:19am
post #5 of 14

We've done a couple of boats at the bakery i work for ( so no pics sorry), but we always use fondant. As far as making it look as if it is out of the water, you will probably need to make a little platform for it to sit on, supported with dowels underneath. Good luck to you.

Darthburn Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:27am
post #6 of 14

Hi,

Just because the picture shows the front of the boat out of water doesn't mean you have to make the cake that way. I suggest doing it with the boat bottom completely supported and then use some blue buttercream to fill in some "water". If you fill in some waves on the front with blue buttercream and white tips, the boat can still look like its moving, yet you have it fully supported.

If you really want to suspend it, better break out the tools... Use a wooden bottom board and cut about a 1/4" thick piece of wood at an angle and screw mount it with dowel supports. Shove some cake under the board for part of the boat, and the rest on top. Shape it all as the boat hull. Buttercream and fondent
icon_smile.gif
LL

imartsy Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiesweet

We've done a couple of boats at the bakery i work for ( so no pics sorry), but we always use fondant. As far as making it look as if it is out of the water, you will probably need to make a little platform for it to sit on, supported with dowels underneath. Good luck to you.

Hmm any more info on this platform? I'm not sure I understand.

lthiele Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 8:30am
post #8 of 14

Does it have to be 3D? If you did it 2D lying with one side flat, you could carve and use fondant for a really nice clean finish.

If 3D is what they want - I have no clue - but may the force be with you! lol Good Luck!

imartsy Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:28am
post #9 of 14

I think they were looking for it to be 3D - but thanks icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:41am
post #10 of 14

Does the quick picture I made for you make sense? The little wood platform should probably be more boat shaped and actually after thinking about it, if the dowels are far enough back just make buttercream "water" and cover it.

you could also drills holes in the boat shape and bottom board and drive the dowels into both. Leave the dowels sticking up a couple inches and secure the cake with them... killing 2 birds with one stone. icon_smile.gif
LL

Darthburn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #11 of 14

Boy tough crowd. That or I must not be in the "clique".

lthiele Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #12 of 14

imartsy - what about if you carved it upside down, make sure you use a good filling that will stick well like buttercream or ganache and stick long skewers from front down on an angle through the hull? Still not sure if that will hold the weight though.

Another thought - cut the cake where the bow raises out of the water and use a polystyrene dummy carved to the right shape for the suspended bit anchored into the cake with skewers or dowels.

Can you tell I've been thinking about this a bit! lol icon_wink.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 14

Hi,

You will need to use fondant, you will get it looking much sharper and it will have more strength once it drys. I have done a boat, it was with fondant. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1419769.html

I don' think I would do the cake sitting that far out of the water however it you think that is exactly what they want then you will need to use Darthburn's suggestions or make a styrofoam wedge to sit under the front of the boat and cover it with a water effect.

Good luck.

Darthburn Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 14

I like the styrofoam wedge idea even better. Quick, easy, no power tools needed. Just glue it to the board with non-toxic glue. Great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%