90 Degrees Out. Question About Fondant

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 12:12am by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

It is noon and the party is at 2. It is 90 degrees out and the party is at the beach. The humidity is high thanks to hurricane Bill. What will happen to the fondant, also will the gumpaste be ok?.

7 replies
Ballymena Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 8

Yikes, can't help you but I sure am interested in the answers.

ibmoser Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 8

Well, I didn't see this earlier - guess you are experiencing the answers by now icon_lol.gif . I have never put my cake down on the beach in the salt air, but I'm very near the coast with the same temps and humidity and have put several outside to test. Gumpaste should be okay for that time period but will definitely soften and wilt over time. My fondant has held up well with high-ratio shortening bc beneath. You may be SOL if you are using a meringue-based frosting. Please let us know!

cathie_shinnick Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 8

Well, lets just say.....The gum paste held up great. It was a 2 tier cake (Luau theme) with a high-ratio BC covered in MMF. I made a palm tree from RKT covered in MMF with gumpaste palm leaves. The palm tree fell apart, I guess from the weight of the palm leaves. No one missed it and thank goodness I had some other decorations. (A baby made of gumpaste although her bikini was made of mmf. The baby held up, her bikini though, was very sticky by the time we cut the cake. The biggest problem. The wind. Not so much on the cake itself. But, it blew some of the plates right onto the cake and broke some of the sun rays (top of the cake had a sun on it). I was prepared though, a little bit of gumpaste and I put it back together again. All in all, not as bad as I thought I would be. I never want to go through an outside beach cake party again. lol... Thanks imoser...i had a feeling that when I checked today there would be some replys ...there is nothing more agrivating than posting an emerency question and waiting by the computer to get some answers....like watching a pot waiting for it to boil...lol

ibmoser Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 8

So the MMF softened a bit? I use Michele Foster's recipe or Satin Ice, and both behave amazingly well in heat and humidity. I'm glad it went as well as it did - beach breezes can definitely complicate matters. You were well-prepared with extras thumbs_up.gif - good planning.

cathie_shinnick Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, the MMf did soften, it also got a bit gummy. The party was 2 til 5 so it was only out for about 2 1/2 hours before we cut it. I love MMF but may reconsider fondants if I ever get a request for a cake that I know will be in the "elements" I have always wanted to try Michele Fosters fondant and now, I think I will.

sadsmile Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 8

Next time you have a ? and you need quick answers for... post that in the title like -help right now!- help me quick! That gets attention better. thumbs_up.gif

Sorry I wasn't on line on Sunday. I could have told you thge heat would make RKT weaken and fall apart. It's the marshmellows.
And if your cake was cold and then you take it into the heat the gummy fondant is what happenes.
Last month I had to take a cake to my Aunts house and her AC was broken. It was 96' that day and she lives less then half a mile from the beach. So we had similar heat and humidity issues. I altered my filling to one that could stay out and be OK so my cake/fondant could remain at room temperatur and not get icky. I used MFF and mixed in white chocolate melts and it held up great. I HATE hot/room temp warm cake but it looked pretty.
My oh my somthing was after your cake that day with all that happened! I hope you got a good laugh out of it or at least can laugh about it now.
Yes do try the MFF because it doesn't have marshmellows and behaives better. icon_wink.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #8 of 8

thanks sadsmile, I will keep that in mind next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%