Thawing A Frozen Cake ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 3 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm by AngieD300

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hi All!!

I know it seems like I have been asking the same question, but I was wondering if you can help me one more time.

When THAWING your frozen cake, I read that some people leave "wrapping" on when defrosting others take ALL wrapping off and defrost on the counter.

How do you do it? When you say leave "wrapping" on the cake when defrosting, are you talking about the foil AND saran wrap. Or, just the saran wrap?

I have been leaving ALL wrapping on, including foil. However, the outside of my cakes are so WET with condensation it is causing blow outs. I am thinking of others ways to defrost. When I say WET I mean, WET. When I place my bare hand on the cake to move, some of the cake sticks to my hands??????

I am to the point, where I think I am going to just bake my cake and fill the same day, with no freezing!! If the event is Sunday, I am thinking bake friday, fill friday and let it settle over night. Then decorate Saturday.

Thank you for help....

=)

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 12

If you store loaves of bread in your freezer, when you take the loaf out of the freezer to thaw, do you open it and lay all of the slices of bread on the counter? No, you leave it in the wrapper.

Cakes only take minutes to thaw (depending on size, of course). I unwrap mine and start working on them when they are still partially frozen (easier to trim, easier to handle, easier to flip around).

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 12

Not sure why your cakes would be that wet ??

When I defrost cakes, I leave them completely wrapped in the plastic wrap and foil. This is to keep all the moisture in the cake, rather than evaporating out if they were unwrapped. My cakes remain moist on the surface, but not wet.

HTH.

Mikel79 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 12

Thx!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 12

I take them out of the freezer and start working on them right away. This helps with any shaping you may need to do as well as removing extra crumbs. I get it filled and crumbcoated and then if covering in BC I let the crumb coat set up a few mins and then frost it and if covering in fondant then I let it sit out for two hours after crumbcoating before covering with fondant so that the cakes can defrost and any extra moisture evaporate from the surface of the BC crumbcoat before putting on the fondant.

good luck!
Cat

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 12

I think I understand what your talking about. I froze a cake straight from the oven just to see what people were talking about. I always read that it just keeps it SOOO moist. When I thawed it (in the wrapping) the outside of the cakes were gummy and disgusting. Easy to correct, just trimmed both sides. After all was said and done they were not any moister (is that a word). In fact, I thought the white layer was a little dry, the chocolate and red velvet were I guess ok (I tried it with different flavors). I don't know if them being scratch had anything to do with that. But that was my expeirement. Needless to say, will stick with not freezing cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 12

LaBella, not sure what the difference would be ... maybe the real diff is over the long term? I often have the chance to show brides the diff. When they ask, during the sampling, if I freeze my cakes, I sometimes have the chance to tell them, "You tell me. One of the cakes you ate today was baked this morning .... two of them have been in my freezer for 3 weeks. You tell me which is which." They have ALWAYS guessed wrong.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 12

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're not wrapping the layers tight enough............meaning make sure the plastic wrap is clinging to the cake's surface so that air and condensation won't get in between the cake and plastic during the freezing process.

This could be why you're getting a "wet" cake after defrosting, the trapped, frozen condensation melts onto the surface of the cake once it reaches room temperature.

Not sure, just my guess.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 2:37am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I think I understand what your talking about. I froze a cake straight from the oven just to see what people were talking about. I always read that it just keeps it SOOO moist. When I thawed it (in the wrapping) the outside of the cakes were gummy and disgusting. Easy to correct, just trimmed both sides. After all was said and done they were not any moister (is that a word). In fact, I thought the white layer was a little dry, the chocolate and red velvet were I guess ok (I tried it with different flavors). I don't know if them being scratch had anything to do with that. But that was my expeirement. Needless to say, will stick with not freezing cakes.

I think you're right. I have never frozen a cake - just cool, torte and ice - but when you wrap anything that is still even remotely warm, it will cause condensation inside the wrapping. Then, if you freeze it right away, that may turn into ice crystals (for lack of a better term) so that when you defrost, it makes your cake sticky.

And, yes, "moister" is a word. Just checked it with my spellcheck. icon_wink.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 5:30am
post #10 of 12

Yeah, like I said I'm not sure what went wrong. I wrapped them really good. In fact, the wrap just clung to them cause of the heat. they were a PIA to unwrap cause of how tight and how much I wrapped them. They were frozen for about 4 days. I thought maybe cause it doesn't have the same make up as a cake mix, that may be why I had different results. Like I said, it was an expeirement just to see how well it worked and I did discovered it wasn't for me. That's the funny thing I noticed about this cake thing, a lot of us have different results doing the same thing from types of fondant we use to freezing cakes. icon_wink.gif

Mikel79 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you everyone!

It is amazing how many answers one can get for what seems to be a simple thing to do? I was reading past post's on this very topic, going back to 2006. You would not beleive the answers. Some say to keep the cake wrapped others says not to keep it wrapped. Don't you wish there could be just one answer to everything?? But, what works for one, will not work for the other.....

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 3 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 12

Im trying the "defrost" methods today. I just took some cakes out of the freezer & will decorate in a few hours. Now, has any body ever heard to crumb coat the cake, hour or so after cooling down from the oven, then putting it in the freezer till it's time for fondant?
I did crumb coat the cake after cooling, then put it in the freezer for about an hour to stiffen the icing. i put the fondant on & it was great. the next day, i had all kinds of bubbles. someone told me that it could have been that since the cake wasn't completely defrosted, the "cold" inside was trying to get out & caused the bubbles.
So, i guess i just have to go through the trial & error process till i find what works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%