Do You Mark Or Score Sheetcakes Before Decorating?

Decorating By tigerhawk83 Updated 24 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm by tigerhawk83

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 5

I'm going to do a small sheetcake for a birthday party for a 4 year old. Do you score the buttercream for proper servings BEFORE decorating? Or do you just decorate and send instructions as to how to cut with the cake?

My plan is to do a baseball diamond on the top of the cake - transferring pattern using piping gel - and add 1/2 Wilton miniball on it decorated like a baseball.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

I'd do it only if they requested it to be done.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

No.

The closest I come is I add a "secret" mark that is incorporated into the border (like a dot of icing or something) to show the host(ess) where to cut. And I've only done that twice.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 5

I only score if it is on request. Depending on the design I either lightly score and then decorate as normal, or I score and then put a rose bud or simple design on each square.

I prefer to do it like Debbie, I put a dot on the border and let the person cutting know that they are supposed to use these as a guide to cut. No one never knows it's not part of the design.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks to all - the "dot" idea is GREAT. Since this is sort of my first non-family cake, I want to make sure it feeds the number of people I have promised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%