Royal Icing Tiara

Decorating By Nikki1314 Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm by Nikki1314

Nikki1314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki1314 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 13

Thanks to CC I was able to make a tiara out of royal icing, but it is white and i would like to make it silver but keep it edible? Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? Thank You!

12 replies
luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 13

I would be curious to hear any suggestions

Thanks
Kerri
Luvbug creations

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #3 of 13

You can purchase silver luster dust. I mix it with some rum or vodka or something and paint it on. Wilton has their version at AC Moore and Michael's for roughly $4.

culinarykris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
culinarykris Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 13

I recently did hannah montana cupcakes for my daughter. I made miniature microphones out of fondant for the top. The fondant was white so I brushed each one with the silver luster dust. it worked great!!! I would definately use this. Actually.. I am doing a princess cake for my daughter's 4th birthday in a couple months. I plan on doing a tiara and that is how I will make it sparkle. luster dust. It's great!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 13

You might get a nice silver colour with the luster dust just by brushing it on dry. I have a blush brush that I bought just for cake use. I have brushed dusts on fondant before dry, and you get a nice colour. If you want something heavier, the vodka/dust mixture is the way to go. Take care not to make the paint brush too wet though as the royal icing may break down.

Nikki1314 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 13

is there a difference in luster dust and shimmer dust? do u have to mix with vodka or can u use water?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #7 of 13

DO NOT use water - you need to use it with something that has a high alcohol content - so it will evaporate quickly and just leave the color.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:20am
post #8 of 13

You don't have to use vodka - you can use vanilla extract (I find vodka works better, but any clear alcohol will do) - but as Loucinda says, do NOT use water.

Nikki1314 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 13

Thank You all for your advice and tips. I used wilton pearl dust in silver with clear vanilla exract and the color came out great. I let it dry overnight and went to carefully peel the wax paper off the back and, you guessed it, my tiara is now in about ten pieces icon_sad.gif I am going to try again, any tips on why it stuck or how to remove it better?

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 13

Use gumpaste. icon_wink.gif After breaking several of the royal and white chocolate ones, I now make them only from gumpaste. Here is one I made a couple of weeks ago:
LL

Nikki1314 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 13

That came out beautiful! Do u do it the same way with gumpaste as u do with the royal icing? Is gumpaste easy to make? i am new at all this lol

Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 13

You can buy already made gumpaste, or you make your own, I like to make my own. You make the individual ropes and then use gumglue (a tiny bit of gumpaste dissolved in water) to glue all the pieces together. I then add the bottom piece on last to cover all the little bits at the bottom.

As far as the form, it is the same thing, I use a piece of wax paper over my template - which is taped to an oatmeal canister!

Let it dry and then paint it.

Nikki1314 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 13

Ok, thank you so much, i am gonna try it tonight! I will let you know how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%