Can I Please Vent?

Decorating By Brownie1954 Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm by adonisthegreek1

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 17

Ok...
I had a wedding cake to deliver today...The reception was held at the Officer's Club at the Air Force base here in Dayton. Of course, you have to have special clearing to get onto the base.

The couple told me that in order for us to get clearance, we would need our photo ID, and an invitation. We had both....

At no given time since the time they had a tasting with me, and then ordered their cake through me, did they ever tell me that they wanted me to stay and cut the cake....
I would have declined, as I don't do that anyway..I set up the cake, and leave. If a family member will do the cutting, I make sure in advance that they have instructions, or I am aware that the catering staff is doing it....

This couple told me at the last minute, after they had paid in full for 170 guest, that there would be 215!! I told them I had to have the extra money for this, and they said it would be at the hall....

No check....A call is put into their wedding planner who snoutly (New word, as I was thinking at the time that I was talking to a rude pig) that our dinners had been paid for, we were expected to eat, then cut the cake! And, she said that I had been paid to stay and cut the cake! UH....NO!
I told her I had not been paid for this service, and that I was not staying, thank you anyway...I told her that the caterers would be cutting the cake, which is standard around here for high end receptions.....

So there you have it...The bride lied to this planner and told her this??? Or did the planner make this up? Anyone out there have any such problems like this?? Two things...I am changing my contract..I am fed up with not getting paid in full when it's due, so instead of paying it all no later than two weeks before the wedding, it will be month now, and at that time, the will give me a head count then, and I will make darn sure that the bride knows I do not stick around and cut the cake....

This has gotten too long, but it feels good to get it off me chest! I thank you for letting me vent! Brownie

16 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #2 of 17

Yeah, it will be at the hall, like the check is in the mail, like "well be right over to drop it off!"...been there, don't do it anymore. It's a toughie. Me, I like to do what I can to help, but I'll yank my hand back so fast it will make a bridezilla's weave start smoking!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #3 of 17

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif make a bridezilla's weave start to smoke?!?! Jaime you are such an original. And no, I have NEVER heard of such nonsense! I'm not going to ANYONE'S wedding. Strictly business relationship. You want me to stay and cut cake? $20 per hr., paid for 6 hrs. in advance, and I'm sitting there they WHOL time until cake cutting, and guess what? I still will never offer that service. Also, paid in full 30 days prior to delivery date. You have changes after that, fine come make them in person with cash in hand.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 17

Awww...sorry that happened to you! It sounds like you were too nice in what you called the "snoutly" woman. I would have called her a B*tch. You've got some money collecting to do. When are you going to start that process?

And definitely change your contract, ASAP.

Good luck!

Brownie1954 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 17

All of you are right...I am changing my contract now, before I have one more bride come to me. I have money to collect too, and this time I will not mess around. I will tell them front and forward that I don't appreciate how this was handled, and if I don't get my money immediately, I will contact my business lawyer...I am being played for a fool, but it won't happen again.....

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 17

Well, I am prior enlisted and my husband is enlisted now. Give them a call and remind them...might have just been an oversight. Tell them it is due that day. If that doesn't work p.m. me. I will tell you how to get paid for sure.

Brownie1954 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 17

Ok....thanks Julzs...I will contact you if I have no luck getting the payment...I am really hoping this was just a misunderstanding between us...The couple was really nice to work with, so it was a surprise that this came up like it did yesterday.....What branch is your husband in?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 17

Paid in full ahead is paid in full. Don't ever let them "have a check waiting for you" at the hall. Not good.... you really have to stick to your policy.

Wonder who lied to who? They certainly can't be upset at you for this...

Jen

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 17

Teach me something. Why is the bride contacting you with changes, when she hired a wedding planner? Once the tasting is done, aren't all further communications supposed to be done directly through the planner? And were these changes made by the bride put in writing or via telephone?

Not long ago, I had read in one of the many forums I belong to (it could have been here, somewhere) that from now on, the member was going to insist that any changes made would require a new contract, and that they put a deadline on changes, to avoid last minute things like this. You might consider that option, too.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Teach me something. Why is the bride contacting you with changes, when she hired a wedding planner? Once the tasting is done, aren't all further communications supposed to be done directly through the planner?

I wouldn't say "supposed to" come thru the planner. I actually prefer to work directly with the bride and I will happily copy the planner to keep her in the loop. I'm wary about taking changes from the planner when the contract is signed by and the cake is paid for by the bride. Too much potential for trouble when you cut the bride out of the loop.

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Teach me something. Why is the bride contacting you with changes, when she hired a wedding planner? Once the tasting is done, aren't all further communications supposed to be done directly through the planner?

I wouldn't say "supposed to" come thru the planner. I actually prefer to work directly with the bride and I will happily copy the planner to keep her in the loop. I'm wary about taking changes from the planner when the contract is signed by and the cake is paid for by the bride. Too much potential for trouble when you cut the bride out of the loop.

Yep. I coordinate with the planner, but deal with the bride.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 17

Just to let you know you will be able to get your money from them easier cause they are military. I'm an ex-military wife of 10 years. Theres a reason why car companies are willing to finance 18 yr. old privates with no credit and next to no income. They know they can always call their commander for the money. The military doens't like deadbeats. Not that is doesn't happen, but you would be surprised what will happens when you threaten to call someone's commander.

Brownie1954 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 17

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and opinions...I feel I dropped the ball by letting them to this to me....I should have stuck to my guns, and said no, or told them they had to meet with me that very day, and pay me. I won't do it again....

I feel like Indydebie....I want to work directly with the bride...I don't want her coming back and telling me that the planner over-stepped her job, and decided something about the cake, that she shouldn't have....

Heck....Snoutly told me yesterday that "We've paid for two dinners for you" Excuse me? I told her right then and there that she hadn't paid for a thing...The parents, soon to be in laws, or the bride and groom themselves, are the ones who paid for that food, but SHE paid for no part of the dinner.

I hope when they come back from their honeymoon that this can be resolved quickly...It has to, as the money due to me now is strictly what is due for the extra servings, and nothing else....
I would like to meet with the bride face to face and ask her what she knows about me being paid ahead of time for this service I was to provide....Oh well...I coud go on and on about this, but it does no good...
All I can do is get stricter with my contract, and never again take a phone call that close to the wedding telling me they need more servings! What was I thinking???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie1954

Heck....Snoutly told me yesterday that "We've paid for two dinners for you"

Oh big whup! I'll bet everything I own and a few things I don't that your place settings will NOT be the only empties at that reception! I've preached it forever .... RSVP's do not work and people who say they will be there, won't show up. She's gonna be out more than 2 dinners!

My best example: Mom had 149 RSVP's and had 92 people at the reception. There were FIFTY-SEVEN PEOPLE who said, "Yes. Yes, I will DEFINITELY be there!" and they didn't show up.

And if you didn't confirm your attendance, you can tell her where to shove the cost of those 2 dinners. icon_twisted.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #15 of 17

I just keep cracking up over Snoutly! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:40pm
post #16 of 17

Did you change the original contract when they increased the # of servings? I'm hoping you did otherwise there wouldn't be any written proof of the change.

Another good tip~ any and all changes mean a new contract with the changes added then initialed by the client.

I also require full payment 30 days before and no changes within 14 days of the wedding/event.

Heck, my DD is in my niece's wedding in October, the bridesmaid's gowns were ordered and came in in July........I had to pay for the balance on the gown in full when it came in to the bridal shoppe even though they haven't even started alterations yet. 3 MONTHS in advance. icon_eek.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 17

I am 99.9% sure that if you made the original cake without increasing the serving, they would have had enough cake. I have never seen the number of confirmed RSVPs equal the number of guests who actually show. It is always much lower. Also, you always get people who for whatever reason don't even eat any cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%