Carving A 3D Cake...

Decorating By Bel_Anne Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm by candoo

Bel_Anne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bel_Anne Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 11

Just wondering (and this may seem like a silly question) what is the best type of cake to carve (that would be fondant covered)? I mainly bake mudcakes but I've noticed they're quite difficult to shape. And when is the best time to start carving? Should I freeze them first? Or try to shape while it's still warm and soft?

Thanks..

10 replies
chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 11

i've only done a few 3D cakes so i might be wrong..the best kind i found is a milk chocolate or butter recipe cake. a lot of bakers use pound cake but i find that sometimes they get a lil crumbly or too hard from the extended cooking time. but i've done a couple chocolate and 1 or 2 butter cakes. i just let mine cool to room temp and then careve them. dont do it when they are warm, it will crumble apart. i've never frozen a cake so i dont know what the difference would be there...maybe someone else can chime in. HTH!

Bel_Anne Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 11

And a chocolate cake/ butter cake is solid enough to cover in fondant?

Love you tagline too! haha.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 11

I've carved a partially frozen WASC - partially freezing cuts down on the cake moving while you're working on it. HTH

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 11

I stack and then freeze the cakes, carve them when semi frozen, easier so they dont fall apart and hold shape. after carving let come to room temp before placing the fondant on to avoid sweating or condensation

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 11

I stack and then freeze the cakes, carve them when semi frozen, easier so they dont fall apart and hold shape. after carving let come to room temp before placing the fondant on to avoid sweating or condensation

Bel_Anne Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 11

Do you fill them before you freeze/carve them?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 11

Yes. You want to have them filled and ready to ice. Just make sure they aren't still completely frozen when you start carving or it's too hard.

Bel_Anne Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for all the tips! Will be giving it a go shortly... icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11

i've had no problem with the cakes holding up to fondant.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 11

I always use the WASC recipe with yellow cake instead of white- and they carve just fine. I do always freeze them 1st, though. I take the out and start carving just as soon as they thaw a little- but still not completely thawed. Then I ice in buttercream- I use fondant accents, but I've never covered in fondant. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%